Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moose hunt results?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    I wonder if the hunters that got nothing get their tag money back and if the one who shot the spike would get a rebate due to size
    Goes to show that spending a ton of money doesn't guarantee anything .

I bet the sparks would really be flying if there was another guy in camp that just got drawn in the lottery doing a DIY hunt went out and shot a monster bull.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    You pay your nickel and take your chances
    Thats why its called hunting and not " grocery shopping "

Thats why its called hunting and not " grocery shopping "
    Agree 100%.
    Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    National Rifle Association

WOW! A 16K spike? I call that usury but I guess the guy knew what he was getting into. I got drawn in 1985. The moose hunt was one week in October and they gave out 1200 permits of which 10% went to non residents. I'm from New York State. After calling our deer hunting friends in Anson, we decided to do a DIY hunt. I had all the snatch blocks and come alongs from my firewood business and all the camping gear from my guide service. The hunt cost: $259 for the moose permit, $200 for 2 hunting licenses plus money for gas and food. I was 32 years old and full of piss and vinegar. This was my idea of real adventure I wound up shooting a 63", 22 point bull with an 8" forked drop tine. He dressed 920 lbs.
    After reading JDK's and SportsmanNH's posts I got a real chuckle because I would have been the one who "made the sparks fly" in camp. I try to never brag when it comes to hunting, there are too many variables that come into play. I was just in the right place at the right time. I just wanted to say that it is possible to do a DIY hunt and kill a big bull. By the way, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!! on a beautiful animal. Hope you enjoy that "Maine Beef"
    I wonder if the hunters that got nothing get their tag money back and if the one who shot the spike would get a rebate due to size
    Goes to show that spending a ton of money doesn't guarantee anything .

I bet the sparks would really be flying if there was another guy in camp that just got drawn in the lottery doing a DIY hunt went out and shot a monster bull.
    Last edited by catskill adventures1; 10-08-2019 at 05:22 PM.

I killed a 920 pound bull also.

moose8.jpg
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I killed a 920 pound bull also.

moose8.jpg

Let me guess, you owe it all to MGK? By the looks of the vehicles, that might have been before MGK!

He was around. Probably 6 or 7

That's a big bull JDK...what year was it & how about some of the story?

2001. Zone 6

i had done a lot of scouting and there were a lot of moose around the house then. I found a legit high50s low 60 inch bull. I also scouted some more remote places and saw that one and one larger in a pretty tough spot. Opening morning rolled around and I was sick as a dog. We headed to the spot close to home at 3AM. There were 4 pickups already parked in the area. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who knew about that bull. Looked over a few other spots and decided to bolt

Later in the afternoon we were in the remote spots and started calling. Almost immediately we had a response from a long ways away. That bull called and thrashed trees for over 2 hours, coming closer but very slowly. It got dark and we had to sneak out

Next morning we got in the area earlier and I heard that bull calling from over a 1/2 mile away. We snuck down a winter road and he was standing almost in the spot we were the night before. He was beating up some alders. I hammered him on the spot had him dresses, loaded and tagged by 11

On the way to the butcher there were 13 bulls standing in the field above the house. Go figure. To the best of my knowledge no one killed that big bull by the house. He was a monster and I’d bet well over 1000 pounds

I also told a buddy about the bigger bull on the remote spot. He killed a 59 inch 850 in the same area. Not like that anymore
    Last edited by JDK; 10-09-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Beautiful bull, JDK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!