Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting range - anywhere in the woods?

Default shooting range - anywhere in the woods?

Posted a few weeks ago stating I was new to Maine from NJ, the only public state run gun ranges are over 2 hours away. I am in the Ellsworth area. Am I allowed to go into legal hunting woods and shoot paper targets? Or can anyone recommend a shooting range withing an hour of Ellsworth?

Find a gravel pit on paper company land. That's what we and everyone I know does when we are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks in woods View Post
    Posted a few weeks ago stating I was new to Maine from NJ, the only public state run gun ranges are over 2 hours away. I am in the Ellsworth area. Am I allowed to go into legal hunting woods and shoot paper targets? Or can anyone recommend a shooting range withing an hour of Ellsworth?

Could head north up towards Amherst aurora and go out route 9 a bit. There is paper company land and dirt roads where you should be able to find a safe spot that no one will bother you.

Thank you for the replies, it's a whole new world up here!

KC is right on for your location and it will give you a chance to do a little exploring. Pick up a maine gazateer if you haven't already done so. My son and I always head to the Deer Lake area Columbus weekend for birds but always bring the deer rifles to double check. Plenty of pits off stud mill road, alligator lake road, 32-00-00 where you wont get hassled. A can of fix a flat not a bad idea either just to be safe. Great area.

Thank you for the replies, it's a whole new world up here!
    How do you like it so far? Do you work right in Ellsworth? What kind of work do you do?

Wet wool- thank you for that information.

Longbow - So far, all is good. I am not directly in ellsworth, but close enough to go grocery shopping. I work for Uncle Sam doing computer stuff. Weird, I know, leave NJ to work in ME for computers, but it's been a great experience so far.

Also, for anyone who might view, my decision on rifle to buy was a 30-30

Also, for anyone who might view, my decision on rifle to buy was a 30-30
    That's old school! Will definitely do the job if you do yours.

Nice caliber. What make and model gun?

Roger-

When I was in college I would go shoot in an old gravel pit off 177 in Penobscot. Never had an issue. Only thing is my senior year some kids went down there and made a huge mess. I doubt the land owner was very happy. I can give you directions if you’re interested. It’s about 25 minutes outside of Ellsworth