Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJ Deer Poacher (Caught!)

Last edited by longbow; 09-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Are we really all that surprised? I've spent the last few years bitching about all the corn that goes out of Dicks and Walmart in August. Last week I was at Dick's to buy soccer cleats for my daughter. I went to the "hunting section" to see what they had for cameras. Every camera display had corn, mineral blocks or some sort of "bait" right under or across from 3 different displays.

2 years ago an HC member was hunting NY and sent me the same style pics from a Dick's. He then told me there isn't a baiting season. Hunters and gun enthusiasts were so quick to boycott, and celebrate the loss of 215 million in sales based on the anti firearm approach Dick's took, but we never take Dick's, Walmart or even the "good ol mom and pop gun shops" to task for trying to make a buck off illegal hunting activity. Why don't we as hunters "boycott" these establishments who encourage illegal, unethical, immoral hunting practices? Is it because more are doing it than not? The truth is, we'd have to boycott just about every single store.

Every year I say the same thing....... These retailers wouldn't waste the floor space if the shit wasn't selling. From what I see illegal baiting is good business. This guy got caught. For every one caught there will be 50 who won't be.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    Are we really all that surprised? I've spent the last few years bitching about all the corn that goes out of Dicks and Walmart in August. Last week I was at Dick's to buy soccer cleats for my daughter. I went to the "hunting section" to see what they had for cameras. Every camera display had corn, mineral blocks or some sort of "bait" right under or across from 3 different displays.

2 years ago an HC member was hunting NY and sent me the same style pics from a Dick's. He then told me there isn't a baiting season. Hunters and gun enthusiasts were so quick to boycott, and celebrate the loss of 215 million in sales based on the anti firearm approach Dick's took, but we never take Dick's, Walmart or even the "good ol mom and pop gun shops" to task for trying to make a buck off illegal hunting activity. Why don't we as hunters "boycott" these establishments who encourage illegal, unethical, immoral hunting practices? Is it because more are doing it than not? The truth is, we'd have to boycott just about every single store.

Every year I say the same thing....... These retailers wouldn't waste the floor space if the shit wasn't selling. From what I see illegal baiting is good business. This guy got caught. For every one caught there will be 50 who won't be.
    Baiting is legal here. The guy got caught killing the deer two weeks before the season opened,while trespassing.

I hope it lands his name in the paper. I don't think the fines are much of a deterrent, but hopefully public shaming is. And P&Y and P&C should be notified as any of his listing are now suspect. Strip all the ill-gotten glory out of it and see if that has a effect on his future hunting decisions.

This guy should be set on fire.

You know that buck was going on the wall so he can tell all how great a hunter he is.

I to dislike baiting but many states it's legal. Just look at a hunting show. There is only a handful that don't Hu t over bait.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Baiting is legal here. The guy got caught killing the deer two weeks before the season opened,while trespassing.
    I understand that. My point is our culture promotes and tolerates this piss poor behavior at times, and other times we choose to attack it. Why do we not have the same ethical and moral attitude on a more consistent basis. This guy isn't the first and he won't be the last that has all kinds of "trophies" in his collection. We've seen tv hunters do similar acts. The retailers cash in on the behavior and we , the ethical hunters tolerate it. We don't demand better, yet act "shocked" or "outraged" when it's finally caught. What about all the ones who don't get caught?
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AMT1379 View Post
    I hope it lands his name in the paper. I don't think the fines are much of a deterrent, but hopefully public shaming is. And P&Y and P&C should be notified as any of his listing are now suspect. Strip all the ill-gotten glory out of it and see if that has a effect on his future hunting decisions.

I hope it gets him an article in field and stream.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    I understand that. My point is our culture promotes and tolerates this piss poor behavior at times, and other times we choose to attack it. Why do we not have the same ethical and moral attitude on a more consistent basis. This guy isn't the first and he won't be the last that has all kinds of "trophies" in his collection. We've seen tv hunters do similar acts. The retailers cash in on the behavior and we , the ethical hunters tolerate it. We don't demand better, yet act "shocked" or "outraged" when it's finally caught. What about all the ones who don't get caught?
    I don't think many tolerate hunting out of season and trespassing.

I do understand your point on how money, fame , and ego drives some of these people to do unethical, or illegal things.

And certainly would like to see more get caught.

Remember I got this info. from a friend and another site. Joe should be presumed innocent until found guilty.