Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel season

Default Squirrel season

I know some of you enjoy hunting squirrels, so, I was wondering if anyone else on here noticed the distinct lack of squirrels in the woods this season. All of my best spots are, essentially, empty. After a huge squirrel population boom last year there appears to be none this year. Winter wasn't particularly harsh here in VT. Thoughts?

Welcome to the site!

Browesline is in Vermont and has a lot over by him, even a white one.

I had 18 to 20 gray squirrels at a time under my bird feeder this winter. After the snow melted they disappeared. I have had only one around this summer and he just laid around on the top of the fence around my garden on a 2x4 for a week or so. Very thin, looked old and possibly sick. No nuts or apples last fall but plenty this year and I still have not seen them in the yard which is covered with acorns. A couple reds but chipmunks are scarce around here this year also. The ravens and crows land in the driveway and feast on the acorns that I run over and crack open for them. I see the white one around about once every month during the summer. Been around for almost a year now. Just a little brown around one eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    I had 18 to 20 gray squirrels at a time under my bird feeder this winter. After the snow melted they disappeared. I have had only one around this summer and he just laid around on the top of the fence around my garden on a 2x4 for a week or so. Very thin, looked old and possibly sick. No nuts or apples last fall but plenty this year and I still have not seen them in the yard which is covered with acorns. A couple reds but chipmunks are scarce around here this year also. The ravens and crows land in the driveway and feast on the acorns that I run over and crack open for them. I see the white one around about once every month during the summer. Been around for almost a year now. Just a little brown around one eye.
    Im glad to see the white one made it Browse ! Such a beautiful little critter !

But Im seeing the same thing here in Southern NH. I had tons of gray squirrels around last fall and all winter. Even this spring there were plenty around. Unlike alot of the area , I had a fair share of white oaks dropping acorns last fall around my house. Every morning last fall I would have 6- 8 squirrels on my front lawn and a whole bunch more in the back yard cleaning up the acorns so I would not have to do it ! I called them my lawn care squad ! I bet there were as many as 30 of them living around my house. Now I would rarely see one since mid summer. Although I did see 2 yesterday in my back yard.

Definite lack of tree rats in central NH while last year the slaughter was on the highways and byways.
    Overpopulation killed too many to reproduce another “crop” of squirrels for this year.
    We even had them swimming across Winnipesaukee last summer in search of new territory.

Last fall NH experienced a mast bust year. A few scattered trees produced some nuts but not many. This resulted in squirrels and other rodents scrambling for food. The phenomenon witnessed by all is known as a mass squirrel migration. One historical event well documented online is the “1968 Mass Squirrel Migration” different year and location but the story is the same of what many of us noticed.

Prior to 2018 the other known NH event occurred during the 1930s. Roads were more scarce leaving roadkilled squirrels less observed though drowned squirrels were showing up at river dams.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Right I was trolling for salmon last August and had to dodge a squirrel trying to swim to the boat. My wife was stunned when I told her to not touch the squirrel when we were a 1/2 mile from shore.
    And like others the carnage along the highways...in the hundreds along short sections of road.

Roger-

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like NH is the same as VT regarding the population explosion last season....

no better in my part of WV

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Last fall NH experienced a mast bust year. A few scattered trees produced some nuts but not many. This resulted in squirrels and other rodents scrambling for food. The phenomenon witnessed by all is known as a mass squirrel migration. One historical event well documented online is the “1968 Mass Squirrel Migration” different year and location but the story is the same of what many of us noticed.

Prior to 2018 the other known NH event occurred during the 1930s. Roads were more scarce leaving roadkilled squirrels less observed though drowned squirrels were showing up at river dams.
    outdoorsman i remember as a kid in Md deer hunting one year my brother and i actually went home and traded 30-30s for shotguns and went squirrel hunting instead