Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep Sight Aperture

Default Peep Sight Aperture

I was looking at NY hunter's thread where he was selling a Williams peep sight and he mentioned different sizes of apertures and it had me thinking.

When I am hunting with my peep sighted guns, I keep one of the screw in apertures in. I think it is 1/16th?. It is considerably smaller than the big opening without any aperture.

It is large enough where I can still see very well through it for moving or standing shots, and gives me a finer sight picture, which I like, especially on a long shot.

When it starts to get dark or very early when I am on stand I take it out so I can see thru the large "hole". Gives me few extra minutes.

Does anyone else do this?

Story: One evening after hunting and having removed the aperture, I forgot to put in back in the gun. I hunted the next evening with a different jacket and did not have the aperture with me. I said to myself, I will surely see a big buck, because I don't have the aperture!! Well, sure enough I did and killed him anyway at about 50 yards. I think you can do pretty well without it. On the longest shots it is helpful.

I used my aperture to sight my gun in. It has lived on the shelf of my gun cabinet ever since.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Same here - I pulled it out and have not put it back in. Based on my shooting maybe i should put it back in!

I also just use it when sighting in and take it out when hunting.

I remove it to practice and hunt. Just point and shoot.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    I remove it to practice and hunt. Just point and shoot.

Roger-
    Are you using buckshot again?

I said I shot a buck....pay attention.

Roger-

I've been using one for quite a few years now , switched over from open sights when my near vision started to go.
    Williams has 3 different sized hunting apertures ; .093 , .125 (1/8) and .150 with a target sized one at .050. I started out using the .125 , but after a season or two I removed it and just use the 'big opening' with no insert now.
    It really is a trade off , the smaller the aperture the sharper the sight picture but in low light and hunting conditions a small aperture is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
    but in low light and hunting conditions a small aperture is not practical.
    That’s why I take mine out half hour before dark or so.

I've had a Williams peep on my 30-30 for decades. I use a "twilight" aperture when using it. It has a brass colored background allowing a few more minutes of accurate shooting and it is easier ti pick up the bead in front. It works like a charm.