Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sheep Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I have hunted out west several times. Personally, I'd invest in a great set of binoculars and a good pair of hiking boots. You may scoff but if I were buying a Leupold scope today, it would be a fixed power.

I have killed deer, bear, elk, moose, hogs, and caribou with a 308 Winchester. Some were close, some were not. Never left me feeling lacking. I'd feel exactly the same with a 270, 30-06, 7 mags, 7-08, or 6.5 Creed. Can't say that about the cheap binoculars I had.

I said before and I say it again. What you shoot is no where near as important as some other things.
    I completely agree with you. I have most of the other stuff figured out ironically. Completely agree with the bino's and boots. I do have to figure out the pack system too I know that is critical too. I have a pair of Zeiss that I spent a bundle on and have loved them for years. the reason for the post is really just that I have never hunted long distance and with a scope. People do this with bows and blackpowder so part of me tells me to just bring along my existing rifles with open sights. But how much would that suck not being able to take a poke at 200 yards at a big Dall 8 days in? In addition, there is nothing like the expectation of buying a new gun and getting all kinds of feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Get yourself a Jarrett and be done with it. Maybe .280 or 7mm 08.
    Big D - if I don't figure it out soon your 308 is coming with me! Thanks for the thought the I will look into those too.

While my 308 is close to being a Jarrett it would need a serious upgrade in glass.
    I love it when a plan comes together!