Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy all

Default Howdy all

NJ to ME transplant, looking forward to my first season in the north woods. My only issue I have to so far is I cant decide between a 30-30 lever action or 30-06 bolt. A problem I have no problem dealing with.

In the Central coast region, began my scouting 2 weeks ago, cant wait to see what Maine has in store for me!

Welcome to the site! I'm still in NJ. Where were you in NJ?

Having multiple rifles and having to decide is a good problem to have! Have you hunted in Maine before?

I was real close to buying a place near Harrington, Maine a few years back. I might buy the same camp if it ever comes back on the market. I would like to move there in a couple of years, but the wife is apprehensive because of the cold.

Both are more then sufficient. Comes down to the terrain you’ll be hunting. You’ll be hard pressed to find a shot longer then 100yrds in the Woods. However if you plan to hunt cuts, fields, or power lines you’ll be happier with the 30-06 IMO

Welcome. I've never lived in either state, but having spent time in both, I know you made a wise choice. (Longbow seems like too good of a person to live in NJ. Perhaps he sinned in a previous life?)

You're expecting to hunt the woods, but what? Deer, or will you pursue to ultimate form of manliness, bear hunting?

I don't want to start a holy war because a 30-30 WILL kill a bear, but for that quarry, I would most certainly choose the .30-06 instead. Better still, why not a short action like the .308?

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    (Longbow seems like too good of a person to live in NJ. Perhaps he sinned in a previous life?)
    Ha, ha, you would like the bear down here though. many 600 to 800+ pounders taken each year. Need heavy equipment to get them out of the woods and into your truck. lol

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Ha, ha, you would like the bear down here though. many 600 to 800+ pounders taken each year. Need heavy equipment to get them out of the woods and into your truck. lol
    Finally, a good reason to go to New Jersey!

Are they still limiting bear hunts to private lands?

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Finally, a good reason to go to New Jersey!

Are they still limiting bear hunts to private lands?
    Yes ,but Federal land is open and there’s a lot of it.

The bear permit is only two dollars even for out-of-state hunters. But you still have to get a hunting license which is 135 for Non-residents.
    Last edited by longbow; 08-22-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Happy to see there is some life to this forum, got a little scared of the lack of posts.

Longbow: im from central jersey, but spent most of my time north of 78 and up. Never hunted Maine, never worked out with timing but have been trying to get up here for a few years now.

Igloo: Im here for deer, if i wanted bear Id stay in jersey (well pre governor restrictions), more bears and bigger bears, but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the advice MGK, im looking to track in the woods, no powerlines for me this year. Wanting to get the north woods experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks in woods View Post
    Happy to see there is some life to this forum, got a little scared of the lack of posts.

Longbow: im from central jersey, but spent most of my time north of 78 and up. Never hunted Maine, never worked out with timing but have been trying to get up here for a few years now.

Igloo: Im here for deer, if i wanted bear Id stay in jersey (well pre governor restrictions), more bears and bigger bears, but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the advice MGK, im looking to track in the woods, no powerlines for me this year. Wanting to get the north woods experience.
    This place will liven up once hunting season starts up. I live right near the Gap just off I-80. Been hunting up in Maine since 1990. You might find some pretty decent deer numbers along the "midcoast". I hunt up north, west of Ashland. A glutton for punishment I guess. Some big boys around up there that are rarely seen.