Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Howdy all

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walks in woods View Post
    ...but I dont seem to have a taste for them, got 2 and not my cup of tea.
    Do you mean that literally, as in the taste of the meat, or figuratively, as in the taste for the hunting experience?

    If you're referring to the meat itself, it took some years to become proficient, but now my wife makes a mean bear steak.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Longbow: Im looking to hunt out that way too, west of the highway. If i wanted to shoot a bunch of deer, id stay in jersey. Im after that 5yo buck that has never seen a person. Maine is full of stories of 200lb+ legends, I might be chasing a ghost for all I know, but ill learn a lot in my adventures.

    Igloo: literal taste, i hunted bear incidentally deer hunting, not bait and wait. Stew was tolerable, but id never want to have to eat 100lbs of stew, tried jerky too, but never went as quick as deer or goose jerky did around the house.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Welcome. Do you already have the guns you speak of, or are thinking of picking one of those two up?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    382

    Default

    LB I think you have a good deal with all the deer down there. Don't you think?

    Roger-
    Last edited by Grandkid; 08-23-2019 at 09:11 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Good luck with your move to Maine and deer hunting and tracking. Remington pump in 06 or any other caliber.

    Roger-

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    LB I think you have a good deal with all the deer down there. Don't you think?

    Roger-
    Good question. If there are more deer down in NJ, and as you say, the bears are bigger than in ME, why come to ME to hunt?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Good question. If there are more deer down in NJ, and as you say, the bears are bigger than in ME, why come to ME to hunt?
    The reason most of us hunt here, the fact that there is millions of acres of open private and public land. No development, likely never see another person in the woods the entire season, the ability to hunt on snow, the chance of a 200-300 pound field dressed buck.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central NH
    Posts
    6,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    The reason most of us hunt here, the fact that there is millions of acres of open private and public land. No development, likely never see another person in the woods the entire season, the ability to hunt on snow, the chance of a 200-300 pound field dressed buck.
    and hunting "success" isn't measured by killing.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    and hunting "success" isn't measured by killing.
    Hunting success is measured by whatever metric the hunter chooses.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    North Jersey Woods ( NJW)
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    The reason most of us hunt here, the fact that there is millions of acres of open private and public land. No development, likely never see another person in the woods the entire season, the ability to hunt on snow, the chance of a 200-300 pound field dressed buck.
    Exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •