Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting in Deer Yards

I hunted in Errol NH last Nov. way too much snow to track deer..hip deep snow...Errol doesnt have a ton of deer...its not the ideal place to consider sitting in a tree stand all day...I found where two migration trails intersected, and I spent two full days in a tree stand...saw 21 deer...woulda killed a nice 8 pt the first day, but my firing pin was froze solid...went back the next day, and shot a 8 point...felt like I was in ohio...
    Fresh horses and beer for all my friends...FOR TONITE WE RIDE!!!!

Last year we were hunting Thanksgiving week, northern Maine. We had heard that there was a deer yard in a certain spot. On Sunday while we were scouting before our hunting week, we drove down a road that was near the yarding area and notice a heavily rutted trail coming from up on the hill and heading down. I knew it was very thick down there and we had our usual spots to hunt so we never went back. I am kicking myself for not hanging a trail camera on the trail! Or maybe sitting on the trail? I would think sitting on a trail, migration path, leading to a yard would be ethical. I always say we have to improvise and adapt to changing conditions and be flexible, but we might have missed the boat on that one! May not happen again for many years.

As it was, we had a great week and chased some bucks around in the deep snow. Most of them I don't think knew they were being chased though, we were so far behind. lol
    Last edited by longbow; 08-08-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    I hunted in Errol NH last Nov. way too much snow to track deer..hip deep snow...Errol doesnt have a ton of deer...its not the ideal place to consider sitting in a tree stand all day...I found where two migration trails intersected, and I spent two full days in a tree stand...saw 21 deer...woulda killed a nice 8 pt the first day, but my firing pin was froze solid...went back the next day, and shot a 8 point...felt like I was in ohio...
    Any pics?
    Last edited by longbow; 08-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.

To add context to my post, when I reference yards I’m not talking about a wilderness stand of cedar or spruce, im talking lawns and 1 acre wood lots between gas stations and homes. Does it make a difference? Only you can decide but For me it’s a difference between taking a buck coming off a mountain range to check a yard for does, v one standing in the open thinking it’s winter waiting for the next grain scoop in the driveway.

I once talked to a now retired local Game warden in Rangeley and he said the best thing these Harding town could do was to just close hunting in town limits. He was always furious with guys hunting across the street from the local preserve end of the season in the yard.
    Last edited by Kingman Cruncher; 08-09-2019 at 05:47 AM.

I was hunting in the hardwoods..migration trails coming off the mountains...they really had no option to walk the trails only...deer yard by the Andro river..
    Fresh horses and beer for all my friends...FOR TONITE WE RIDE!!!!