Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Hounding Outfitter

Good luck. Should be real exciting way to take a bear.

Roger-

I know you already booked with FMGS but another guide that seems to get good reviews is Paul Laney out of Grand Lake Stream.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I know you already booked with FMGS but another guide that seems to get good reviews is Paul Laney out of Grand Lake Stream.
    Hey, thanks for the information. There's always 2021.

What part of the state is he in? One reason I decided to give Foggy Mountain a try is that I've never hunted central Maine. Did southeastern Maine (Eagle Mountain Guide Service) and northern Maine (Allagash Guide Service), so I wanted to try a new part of the state. Although I believe this will be my first and last bear hunt with hounds, the wife's comment was "You said you would only use an outfitter one time. That was four trips ago!" She may have a point.

Taking the daughter to hunt bear in my own woods. If she gets hooked, we might both head towards Eagle Mountain again in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Hey, thanks for the information. There's always 2021.

Did southeastern Maine (Eagle Mountain Guide Service) and northern Maine (Allagash Guide Service).
    How was your trip with Allagash Guide Service ?

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    How was your trip with Allagash Guide Service ?
    I went last year on their self-guided hunt, and it was a lot of fun. I'm going back in two weeks, although this time its going to be the fully-guided hunt.

This was not by choice; I prefer self-guided. Last year, I got in just under the wire, so I had to go on Week #4. I booked early for 2019 to get Week #1, but they don't allow self-guided on week #1, so I went with the fully guided, which is only five days.

I can't speak to their food, though it looked tasty and abundant. The hunting was awesome, but things were starting to dry up by week #4. They gave me two bait sites and access to their bait pile. Whenever I felt like it, I would load up the bait and drive into the Great North Woods to hunt. On their self-guided hunts, you pay the gate fee ($16/day) yourself. I had a treestand and a homemade ground blind. Due to bear activity, I ended up hunting the ground blind exclusively but baited both.

Had I taken a bear during the first few days, I would have had to skin it (which I have never done) and take it to the butcher, which they claim would turn it around in 24 hours. As it turned out, I shot my bear at 5:30pm on the last day, so I drove home with a dead bear on my truck.

I chose them to get the northern Maine experience, but in all likelihood, I will be going back to Eagle Mountain in the future. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Allagash Guide Service as they run a first-class operation, but they're pricing themselves out of the market in my opinion. Six-day fully guided hunts at Eagle Mountain run about $2,000. FIVE day guided hunts at Allagash run about $2,500. Allagash has 24/7 power and Internet, whereas Eagle Mountain is on generator power with no Internet and spotty cell service, but there is something to be said for being out of touch.

Also, for me and most hunters, Eagle Mountain is more accessible. Eagle Mountain is about a five-hour drive. Allagash is over eight.

I'll let you know about their fully-guided hunt in about three weeks!

Thanks for the info, good luck on your trip in a couple weeks

Yes good luck on your bear hunt. Do you have any thoughts on waiting out a large bear? Like how big are you willing to hold out for?

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Yes good luck on your bear hunt. Do you have any thoughts on waiting out a large bear? Like how big are you willing to hold out for?

Roger-
    They don't call me the "Cub Slayer" for nothing.

I am notorious for shooting small bears. My first was only about 75 lbs. My biggest was only 185, but that's actually pretty big for a sow. (Even bigger when you have to haul it out of the woods by yourself).

With more experience, I try to avoid shooting tiny bears, and certainly never cubs, but I'll typically take anything over 100 lbs. Last fall in Maine, I saw a small bear on the last day and decided to shoot it, having seen nothing all week. Turned out it was 120 lbs live, so I don't feel that's so terrible.

I started going to northern Maine in the hope of getting a bigger bear - it didn't pan out, which is why I'm giving hounding a try.

In the case of hounding, I plan to be more selective. I'd like to keep it over 200 lbs. Based on the hound hunts I've seen, this should not be difficult. The smallest bear I've known someone to take by hounding was 250 lbs.

This year, both of my properties are showing a large boar, probably over 300 lbs. This too might push me towards higher selectivity. I'm taking my daughter and a friend bear hunting for the first time, and I'm telling them they should shoot anything that isn't a cub or a mommy with cubs.

Right on with shooting a big bear. Like my buddy says when you shoot a bear every year eventually a big one will come along. I have take a couple over 200 but nothing huge. Hope to have one come in this season. Good luck on that big one with your daughter this season.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Right on with shooting a big bear. Like my buddy says when you shoot a bear every year eventually a big one will come along. I have take a couple over 200 but nothing huge. Hope to have one come in this season. Good luck on that big one with your daughter this season.

Roger-
    Good luck to you too if you're going out for bear this year! Nothing like seeing one come in, even if its small.