Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Hounding Outfitter

Default Bear Hounding Outfitter

I've done a lot of research over the past few years into Maine bear outfitters. Tried two so far and have been happy with them, but I'm considering a hound hunt in 2020.

Does anybody know a good hound hunting outfitter in Maine? My favorite outfitter doesn't do hounds at all, and the other one is typically booked out several years and is very expensive.

I'm looking seriously at Oxbow Outfitters and Foggy Mountain Guide Service. If any of you guys do this, let me know.

Dan Wagner, Maine Trophy Outfitters. Never hunted with him, but have hung out with him at a couple of shows. Serious dude, the sort that some like and some don't, not many in the middle. I suspect it would be a good hunt. No website, just facebook- https://www.facebook.com/MaineTrophy...50401&fref=tag
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

Brandon Lane but he is booked out a long ways and might be expensive.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Yes, I know. I did a hunt over bait with him last year and am going back in three weeks. Didn't consider him for those very reasons. He is quite expensive. Great place though - I did the self-guided hunt.

Why are so many bear guides named "Brandon"? I think I came across three while searching.

Done!

Just booked a bear hunt with hounds with Foggy Mountain Guide Service for 2020! Wife sure puts up with a lot of bear hunting spending!

Congrats good luck on your trip

Sounds like fun good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    Congrats good luck on your trip
    Thanks. It's 14 months away, and I'll be counting the days.

Your avatar suggests you know a thing or two about hunting with hounds. Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Sounds like fun good luck!

When I went to Allagash last year, a few of the bait hunters upgraded to hound hunts. All thought they were amazing, and all got bears as I recall. The "small" hounded bear was like 250 lbs.

Like JDK said, they're booked up a few years out, so some people sign up for the bait hunt hoping that someone on hounds tags out early. If that happens, they offer upgrades to these hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Thanks. It's 14 months away, and I'll be counting the days.

Your avatar suggests you know a thing or two about hunting with hounds. Do tell.
    Growing up my father had hounds for running fox, coon, & rabbits and was out all the time with him. When I was old enough started getting my own beagles for rabbit hunting. Been around it my whole life, also would go out with some others that had coon hounds. Nothing like hunting with a good pack of hounds, I would rather do that the whole hunting season if I could. I had sent you a PM last week if you got it