Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Takes a while to “heat up”

After discussing it together, my wife (fishing partner) think that salmon may have been dinged by the spinning prop. When trolling 2 rods we don’t stop the motor so the line on the rod still “fishing” doesn’t sink to the bottom.
    In the melee of trying to land the fish and the wind pushing the boat off course the fish did dive down below the prop of my outboard.
    That’s the latest theory. That, and a friend is sending a picture of it to a F&G biologist for his/her opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Pretty sure that is a bacterial infection.
    Possibly.... looks like Viral hemorrhagic septicemia. not good. Definitely not a wound from a prop. that would look like huge slashes

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    Possibly.... looks like Viral hemorrhagic septicemia. not good. Definitely not a wound from a prop. that would look like huge slashes
    Possibly. First time Ive seen anything like this. Let’s see what the biologist says...

I think JDK is right. We get those occasionally here on Sebago.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Possibly. First time Ive seen anything like this. Let’s see what the biologist says...
    Any news?
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    I think JDK is right. We get those occasionally here on Sebago.
    Wow Jeremy, MGK sent me a picture the other day of some Sebago togue, I had to look twice to see if they were pickerel!!! Sad state of affairs right now on the big pond!

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Any news?
    Yes, sorry forgot about this post.
    The NH biologist said from the pictures, it was likely NOT that disease.
    There are many factors that could cause an injury like that caused by mid-handling released salmon and causing their “Slime” layer to be damaged. Other bacterial infections can be the result.

His exact words:
    Not likely VHS or anything sinister, in fact such lesions are somewhat common on early-spring caught LLS, but granted, not as common on prime summer LLS (although have personally observed several such summer specimens over the years). Such lesions are typically common bacterial infections, which can also be followed by secondary fungal infections. Rough handling (scale and slime coat removal), ectoparasites, and spawning (pre-and post) stress and combinations thereof, are all avenues for such infections to take hold.
    Last edited by mowbizz; 08-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WetWool View Post
    Wow Jeremy, MGK sent me a picture the other day of some Sebago togue, I had to look twice to see if they were pickerel!!! Sad state of affairs right now on the big pond!
    Yeah, it’s pretty weak this year at least for me. It’s been slow, the fish are really small and thin. The few good ones I’ve caught look like they are starving. I’ve spent less time fishing this year too to be honest, so I think I’m trading in the black hawk on a beer drinking pontoon as soon as someone takes mine away. Probably just get a zebco and a few dilly worms and fish for crappie into retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Yeah, it’s pretty weak this year at least for me. It’s been slow, the fish are really small and thin. The few good ones I’ve caught look like they are starving. I’ve spent less time fishing this year too to be honest, so I think I’m trading in the black hawk on a beer drinking pontoon as soon as someone takes mine away. Probably just get a zebco and a few dilly worms and fish for crappie into retirement.
    Now you are thinking kid.