Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Poor grouping

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    I sort of did that with my iron-sighted .308. Same thing. I am confident it is the ammo.
    So you have 2 308 rifles . But one is scoped and one just has iron sights. Thats comparing apples to oranges.

I have high rise see through mounts on all my rifles so I can have iron sights for close shots in thick cover.
    One has a small pearl round white bead as a front sight and the other is a orange fiber optic front sight
    When I sight those guns in I have to use a 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards for the fiber optic. The fiber optic covers the entire 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards.
    I use a 2 or 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards for the small pearl bead sight. The white bead covers the 2 inch bulls eye
    If I used anything smaller for bulls eyes for the different front beads I would not be able to find the center and be all over the target and easily be 6 inches off in any direction.
    Sighting in with either sight on a 1 inch bulls eye would be totally useless.

Have someone with a scoped , sighted in rifle try a few rounds

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    So you have 2 308 rifles . But one is scoped and one just has iron sights. Thats comparing apples to oranges.

I have high rise see through mounts on all my rifles so I can have iron sights for close shots in thick cover.
    One has a small pearl round white bead as a front sight and the other is a orange fiber optic front sight
    When I sight those guns in I have to use a 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards for the fiber optic. The fiber optic covers the entire 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards.
    I use a 2 or 3 inch bulls eye at 45 yards for the small pearl bead sight. The white bead covers the 2 inch bulls eye
    If I used anything smaller for bulls eyes for the different front beads I would not be able to find the center and be all over the target and easily be 6 inches off in any direction.
    Sighting in with either sight on a 1 inch bulls eye would be totally useless.

Have someone with a scoped , sighted in rifle try a few rounds
    I like to use the top of the front sight as POI. More precise for me. Doesn't cover what I am trying to hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I like to use the top of the front sight as POI. More precise for me. Doesn't cover what I am trying to hit.
    If that works for you thats great ! But I like to sit the front sight ball right in the V of the rear sight instead of trying to split the front sight ball in the split second you have to get the shot off. It makes for faster target acquisition for me. My front pearl sight sits in the V perfectly with the top of the ball even with the top of the rear sight.
    The round tube orange fiber optic front sight sits perfectly in between the V of the rear sight with the 2 fiber optic green dots , one on each side of the V , line up in a straight line. So easy and fast to line up. Rear sight green dot , front sight orange dot in the center , rear sight green dot , all in a straight line.

I have done it the way you do it on some of the guns that had a brass front sight. It did work well for me. But I have mostly used your method on iron sighted guns I hunted small game with. Mostly 22's and a couple lever action 30-30's I didn't have a scope on. I did do that method on one of my 06 rifles that had a brass front sight. But I changed that brass sight to the white pearl sight because it was easier to see in the woods at dawn and dusk .
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 08-01-2019 at 05:45 PM.