Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Loaded Oaks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central NH
    Posts
    6,422

    Default Loaded Oaks

    We just moved to a new home so I was just admiring the yard and layout when I noticed that a few of the oaks in the yard are loaded with acorns. That got me looking every where I've been all weekend and it seems here in central NH we are going to have a serious Red Acorn crop. You guys seeing the same?
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    North Jersey Woods ( NJW)
    Posts
    5,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    We just moved to a new home so I was just admiring the yard and layout when I noticed that a few of the oaks in the yard are loaded with acorns. That got me looking every where I've been all weekend and it seems here in central NH we are going to have a serious Red Acorn crop. You guys seeing the same?
    Congrats on the new house! Did you move far? More property? Most important, can you piss off the rear deck with no neighbors to see?

    Guys are saying trees are loaded here, I'll have to take a look today.
    Last edited by longbow; 06-25-2019 at 09:08 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Yes and many are seeing some beechnuts as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central NH
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Congrats on the new house! Did you move far? More property? Most important, can you piss off the rear deck with no neighbors to see?

    Guys are saying trees are loaded here, I'll have to take a look today.
    Other side of town. Yes I can piss all over the yard and nobody can see me. Ragged mountain is literally out my door. I have plenty of familiar woods to roam.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bow, NH
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    My kids and I ski at Ragged. We'll have to stop in and say hello sometime. Congrats.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Congrats on the move! Do you rent or own?
    Ragged is just a couple of hills as the crow flies from me. I haven’t been out in my woods yet except to survey the snow damage to my ground blind after the snows left. My back hill is mostly beech with a few oaks mixed in. I’ll have to put on my skeeter net and go look for nuts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central NH
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Congrats on the move! Do you rent or own?
    Ragged is just a couple of hills as the crow flies from me. I haven’t been out in my woods yet except to survey the snow damage to my ground blind after the snows left. My back hill is mostly beech with a few oaks mixed in. I’ll have to put on my skeeter net and go look for nuts.
    We rent.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    Other side of town. Yes I can piss all over the yard and nobody can see me. Ragged mountain is literally out my door. I have plenty of familiar woods to roam.
    You're pretty close to my Groton/Bristol hunting grounds.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central NH
    Posts
    6,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    You're pretty close to my Groton/Bristol hunting grounds.
    1/2 hour
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Yes tons of acorns on the seacoast. Red oaks for sure. They are shedding right now also.

    Roger-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •