Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear hunting with a 243

Default Bear hunting with a 243

My 14 year old daughter has had a breakthrough and has taken a keen interest in shooting guns and hunting. (She was afraid of rifles only six months ago). She insists on joining me at the range whenever I go and loves shooting our .243. I'd say she is a 2-3 MOA shooter consistently. I am confident she could hit a deer/bear kill zone at 50-75 yards.

She really wants to go bear hunting with me this fall. I believe she has the constitution to do so, but I'm wondering about the rifle.

Two bear camp outfitters have told me that a .243 is adequate for black bears, but I suspect I might want to be a bit more judicious about bullet selection. With my .308, I've used 180-grain Core Lokts with devastating effect (4 one shot, one kills). I've also tried copper with the .308. It worked, but I think it did less damage.

I'm planning to use copper this year with my .338 Federal or .308, but for the .243, I'm thinking that either Core Lokts or Federal Fusions might be a better choice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

You are most likely going to kill the bear with core lokts or the fusion, but there is much better ammunition out there if you are concerned with the .243. That ammo will fragment pretty quick, so maybe a nosler partition, or bonded. Yeah, it might be 3x the cost for the ammo but it’s higher quality for sure.

The nosler partition is a great projectile. Nosler also makes a copper bullet (etip) that has good reviews. Copper bullets shed very little weight hence the performance/penetration is more like a heavier lead core bullet.

https://shop.nosler.com/e-tip-243-wi...ammo-20ct.html
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Barnes TTSX or TSX
    I've already told you more than I know.

I've only shot 4 black bears but they don't seem any harder to kill than deer. Shot all 4 with my 280 using Nosler Partitions. 3 died where they stood , 1 ran about 100 yards , hit him a little high. All lung/ heart shots.

I guess I'm thinking less about specific bullets and more about copper vs. jacketed lead. In my limited experience, I get bigger holes from jacketed lead but better penetration with copper. My .308 rounds seem to provide sufficient penetration with either, so I generally go with the jacketed lead for more bleeding.

With my .308, I don't worry about hitting the shoulder, but I'm wondering whether to tell her to aim a little further back with the .243.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1595220.

I would use these and you would probably be good with even a shoulder shot. CoreLokt's would probably also be fine, but I think I might go for a little more insurance, with a stronger deeper penetrating bullet than a CoreLokt in such a light weight. The copper bullets as recommended by JDK would be my second choice. I just like the Nosler's combination of penetration and expansion.

Shoot them in the lungs , they'll lay down.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Shoot them in the lungs , they'll lay down.

I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1595220.

I would use these and you would probably be good with even a shoulder shot. CoreLokt's would probably also be fine, but I think I might go for a little more insurance, with a stronger deeper penetrating bullet than a CoreLokt in such a light weight. The copper bullets as recommended by JDK would be my second choice. I just like the Nosler's combination of penetration and expansion.
    Thanks, and thanks for putting me on to that seller. I've never tried partitions as they seemed overkill for me, but for the .243 (which I wouldn't use), it might be the ticket.