Thread: Any Vermont Partridge Hunters on here?

Default Any Vermont Partridge Hunters on here?

I am a VT partridge hunter. It seems there has been less logging in the areas that I hunt but still a reasonable number of birds. Anyone else here a partridge hunter?

Yes I am

Then can either of you explain to me how to find them...when you are actually looking for them!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Young forest is the best place to find them. I hunt a lot of regenerating timber cuts. The best places that I have hunted have been regenerating pasture land but that is hard to find. I have a young dog that I am working on training that I hope to take out for partridge this fall.

Logging roads thru old cuts always seem to hold birds. Early season apple orchards that you have to walk in to, not the roadside ones, always hold a bird or two. And if it’s a good beech year you can sometimes find em out in the hardwoods eating nuts...

Good advice, thanks. I mostly hunt the National Forest land and finding cuts is not easy. I with they would do more logging.

More cutting on the way in GMNF- plans for early successional habitat starting this winter, I think. https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53629 in partnership with the Ruffed Grouse Society
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by mbVT View Post
    More cutting on the way in GMNF- plans for early successional habitat starting this winter, I think. https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53629 in partnership with the Ruffed Grouse Society
    good