Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at reloading

Default First attempt at reloading

Pretty happy with the results. Granted only 75 yards and I'm 100% positive I pulled the flyer. Also tried some Varget but the results weren't as good. Sako. I should mention that this is with a Lee Loader and rubber mallet. Easy, fun, but slow.

file-81.jpg

The not so good news was the new Savage. Tried 4 different factory loads 150, 165, and 180s and the best group was 2.75 inches.
    Last edited by JDK; 04-22-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Looks like your on your way. Is that in .308 win?

Yes it is.

Nice. You'll probably tighten up the groups with the Savage when you start hand loading for it.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Good start, definitely something I need to learn to do with all the brass I've been saving.

I picked up a Lee Loader for the 308 this past winter when Midway had a 15% off sale. It is an all in one kit that neck sizes only and I found that the once fired brass needs to be from the rifle you load for. I picked up a bunch of tools and bullets that I wanted to try on the web and I already had the rubber mallet and caliper. As of right now I have about $50-$60 invested, not counting powder and primers. It is actually sort of fun albeit slow but that may be partially my fault. Don't really have a system down yet and tend to do things in batches. The instructions on the kit are very clear that they are for bolt actions only and the brass I fired in my Sako does not fit the Savage. My gut feeling was to have something for when the shit hits the fan in the future.

I should also have mentioned that during the last year or so I have picked up a couple of manuals and downloaded a ton of information off the internet.

If you go on line and read about reloading you can go crazy. Those that are into it seem to be really into it. I guess it depends what you want out of it.

I will be reloading for a 250 Savage also and have been gathering most of the tools I need. I was given a press and beam scale. Already had the dies, brass, and bullets. I need a priming tool and making my own case lube. In the long run, I'll pick up dies for the 308 also.

I always hear about "saving money" but for the amount that I shoot I'm not so sure. It is fun and something you can do on a winter's evening. Plus you can play around with combinations that aren't available commercially.
    Last edited by JDK; 04-23-2019 at 07:54 AM.

I use outboard lower unit lube on my cases and mica inside the case necks. What do you need the mallet for ?
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    I use outboard lower unit lube on my cases and mica inside the case necks. What do you need the mallet for ?
    Using the Lee Loader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tzaULt1rs

Nice. I didn't realize reloading could be that simple. I've always thought you needed a ton of equipment to do it. You got me thinking.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

I'm the last one that should be making any comments about reloading as I bet I'm making mistakes that I have no idea about. Actually did a lot of looking and those kits get very good reviews for what they are. As stated, they neck size only so if you are using once fired brass, it needs to come from the firearm you are loading for. Lee very clearly states that the kit is for bolt action rifles only. That said they make (made) them for the 30-30 and 45-70 at one point in time.

I had a digital caliper that measured to the 1/1000th from Harbor Freight for $9-$10 and a rubber mallet for $4. Also shopped around online and found a person selling 308 caliber bullets and some used tools. Paid $25 for 100 Hornady Interlocks, 2 shellholders, a champfer tool, and a hand trimmer. They were like new. I was given a beam scale (not needed with this kit) so I already had that and for some reason had a powder trickler.

It is fun and easy as long as you pay attention. The dipper was very consistent provided that you used the same technique each time and dipped rather than scooped. Maybe different in other areas but powder and primers are an issue for me and it gets expensive when you add the HazMat fee. We were going to Bangor this weekend and I ended up paying over $40 a pound for Varget and $37-$38 for IMR4064 at a local shop. Trying to recall but I think it was also $3.99/100 primers.

I think I can reload 20-25 cartridges in 45-50 minutes. I'm pretty cautious when hammering in a primer so I go slow. I'm hand trimming and cleaning the brass with a fine steel wool which takes time. As things get figured out, I figure it may go a little quicker in the future. I spent one evening depriming, cleaning, and sizing 100 pieces of brass and then another hour the next night priming, charging, and seating 20 cartridges. I weighted every charge and checked the COAL every time so that took more than normal time.

IMHO, if you are going to be a serious reloader spend the money on a press and/or the kits from RCBS or LEE. But, the Classic Loader seems to make very serviceable hunting grade ammo relatively inexpensively.
    Last edited by JDK; 04-23-2019 at 12:58 PM.