Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Predator Grab a Gun and Go

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck223 View Post
    Rifles are like any tool in that each user finds what works best for them. Keep in mind I am not trying to sell anyone on this rifle. I bought this one because I liked it and in my estimation there is a lot to like here. Money is not an issue....could have bought any rifle I wanted...but I like the idea that it is reasonably priced. I am no more a fancy gun guy than I am a fancy car guy...because as in the immortal words of Shania Twain...they "don't impress me much". I have owned and hunted with many different rifles over the years...and none of them fancy because rifles are a tool to me...no different than my Stihl chainsaws. I haven't shot this one yet...but from the reviews I read prior to buying it...performance in that regard should not be an issue. As far as the rifle itself...I can tell by handling it that it is a killer for me. I would feel very comfortable hunting with this rifle instead of my 7600 or Marlin .35. For me...when I hold it in my hands and put it to my shoulder...I just get that "oh yeah" feeling.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to dismiss this rifle as being inferior, low quality, etc. I was just going off other post, and any issues that folks had, as I've only handled the youth model. A rattling 7600 certainly does not feel like "quality" some times (even though the price dictates otherwise), but like you said, guns are a tool to get a job done.

Thanks...I'd appreciate that

limbsaver isnít noticeably less ďtackyĒ, not worth the purchase. Itís just about the same so save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    limbsaver isnít noticeably less ďtackyĒ, not worth the purchase. Itís just about the same so save your money.
    Thanks KC good to know...sounds like it just "comes with the territory" of having a butt pad. Been so long...easy to forget. I don't anticipate that it will be too big a problem in the field. Truth be told...I have killed quite a few deer with my 7600 only half seated on my shoulder.

Thanks KC good to know...sounds like it just "comes with the territory" of having a butt pad. Been so long...easy to forget. I don't anticipate that it will be too big a problem in the field. Truth be told...I have killed quite a few deer with my 7600 only half seated on my shoulder.
    i think it’s exactly that. Running the 7600 with the hard plastic plate for years, is well, just different.

Have you shot the Ruger yet KC?
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    Have you shot the Ruger yet KC?
    You know, I haven’t. I’m so far behind on my seasonal beer drinking I haven’t found much time for anything else.

Ill admit, I just don’t shoot as much as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    limbsaver isn’t noticeably less “tacky”, not worth the purchase. It’s just about the same so save your money.
    I just saw this thread and wanted to jump in on this topic. I own two limbsavers, one on my kid's .243 and another on my .308 (which comes off during hunting season). If you're buying a limbsaver to reduce tackiness, KC is right. Limbsavers are quite tacky - save your money. The tackiness is why I take the limbsaver off my .308 during hunting season, and why I never bought one for my harder kicking .338 Federal. (Also, Savage improved their pads a bit since I bought the .308).

I recently handled a 308 Predator with the 18" barrel. I really like the way this gun handled. $450 is about half the cost of the BLR I was looking at.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

I finally got around to shooting the Ruger American Predator .308 using Remington 150 grain bullets. Sighted in a 60 yards then went back to around 80. I was in the woods...simulating a hunting scenario. Much less recoil compared to the 7600 carbine...180gr .06 that I hunt with. The bolt seems a little stiff...but I haven't hunted with a bolt action rifle in a long time...and it may just be me that's a little stiff!!! The reason I say this is because when I am just cycling the bolt in a non hunting scenario...it is fairly smooth. I was concerned that it might jump around on me...but found it to be nicely weighted which allowed for good accuracy in kneeling and standing position. I really like how compact it is. Bottom line; it was fun to shoot, it went exactly where I put it, and I have no doubt that it will do the job when I need to "grab a gun and go".
    Last edited by Vtbuck223; 10-18-2019 at 08:10 AM.

I finally got around to shooting the Ruger American Predator .308 using Remington 150 grain bullets. Sighted in a 60 yards then went back to around 80. I was in the woods...simulating a hunting scenario. Much less recoil compared to the 7600 carbine...180gr .06 that I hunt with. The bolt is a little stiff...but I haven't hunted with a bolt action rifle in a long time. I was concerned that it might jump around on me...but found it to be nicely weighted which allowed for good accuracy in kneeling and standing position. I really like how compact it is. Bottom line; it was fun to shoot, it went exactly where I put it, and I have no doubt that it will do the job when I need to "grab a gun and go".
    Put 50 rounds through mine today. Its about the most accurate gun I’ve shot which doesn't say too much, but was touching holes at 100 yards with a rest and table. Really like it. Hardly any recoil and cycled the federal 7mm08 rounds perfectly. Using it on the moose hunt tomorrow.