Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Archery Law

Default New Archery Law

As I understand it, starting in 2020 you will be able to use a crossbow during archery seasons in Maine. So basically spot and stalk in October at some pretty impressive range and distances is now allowed. Thoughts? Anyone doing it?

Ct. allowed everyone to use crossbows a few years back. Now there's a lot more people bow hunting.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Ct. allowed everyone to use crossbows a few years back. Now there's a lot more people bow hunting.
    Im not sure in our coastal expanded areas there could be any more bow hunters!

Im thinking in places like northern Maine where there is very few archery guys because patterning big bucks is difficult and not many doe permits, if guys will get into it with crossbows because you could essentially hunt like you do in the fall still hunting, watching a cut, etc. I’ve never owned one, but it sounds like they are really accurate to 75 yards?

I use one primarily during the late season here in Ct. I can't attest to the accuracy at 75 yds, but 50 yds I'm deadly with a rest.
    I harvest a doe (CT Meat Pole) last season at 35 yds. from the stand, and was truly impressed with the performance. I'd really like NH to follow suite
    as well. Good Luck. Anything to keep on being in the woods:)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Im not sure in our coastal expanded areas there could be any more bow hunters!

Im thinking in places like northern Maine where there is very few archery guys because patterning big bucks is difficult and not many doe permits, if guys will get into it with crossbows because you could essentially hunt like you do in the fall still hunting, watching a cut, etc. I’ve never owned one, but it sounds like they are really accurate to 75 yards?
    They are accurate to that range and further, if you know the distance. Very flat out to 50 yards but after that you have to know the exact distance due to the trajectory. (range finder). They are noisy, at least the ones I have shot, and the chance of a deer reacting to the noise on a 75 yard shot and causing a bad hit is a consideration. I have used them on late season doe hunts quite a bit.

They are definitely deadly accurate and you will probably be able to hit a tennis ball every time from 50 yards or further.
    Last edited by longbow; 04-20-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Default New Law

Good luck. Let the manufacturers and their militarized "sniper" and "tactical" equipment have every advantage over game with limited defenses. Like everything else we sell our souls to commodification. Kill efficiently, by all means. Crossbows are shortcuts for killers, not hunters. If I don't stand with all hunters then lay it on. This lifelong Hunter has about had it with the manufacturers and the "easier is better" route. If you are disabled, fine. If not I have no respect for the crossbow. It is not the fault of the users. Time is limited and few develop real archery skills. Sad to see hunting going down this road. I feel more and more alienated from a once simple sport that was mastered by patience and practice. Good luck. Maybe they'll put together a drone/xbow package soon.
    Last edited by bearblade; 04-20-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bearblade View Post
    Good luck. Let the manufacturers and their militarized "sniper" and "tactical" equipment have every advantage over game with limited defenses. Like everything else we sell our souls to commodification. Kill efficiently, by all means. Crossbows are shortcuts for killers, not hunters. If I don't stand with all hunters then lay it on. This lifelong Hunter has about had it with the manufacturers and the "easier is better" route. If you are disabled, fine. If not I have no respect for the crossbow. It is not the fault of the users. Time is limited and few develop real archery skills. Sad to see hunting going down this road. I feel more and more alienated from a once simple sport that was mastered by patience and practice. Good luck. Maybe they'll put together a drone/xbow package soon.
    So how is the whole hunting without a gun thing working out for you? Are you bow only all the time? I hope not a compound bow, I bet you’re an atlatl kinda guy!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I know. It was a rant! I think we all have one and I just stuck my finger down my throat and purged��. I have met some good people that use xbows. And I have also heard bolts smack into trees from God knows where. There are rational arguments from all sides. But I stick to my sentiments. And yes, I would use an atlatl! I drew MY own line. Yours may be different and if I meet you in the woods you would not know my opinion.

Oneshott is that you???

While I echo your logic on the manufacturers.... I don't have an issue with crossbows. Here in NH our season dates haven't been adjusted for bow hunters what so ever. A means of hunting that used to be recurves and longbows, with technology of a compound not being much, and the deer harvest averaging 300. That season is now filled with range finders on bows, or even hand held range finders, lighter arrows, easier tuning broad heads, sights with magnification, sights with lights , drop away rests , blah blah blah

One of the biggest changes to the "superior bow hunters" is the use of the hand held release. if you feel this way about cross bows, you must feel the same about a compound shooter using a hand held release. The release aid clearly removed the hardest part of bow hunting/shooting. If you've never shot fingers, give it a try and you'll see what I mean. The entire archery crowd, and scene is probably the largest group out of touch with reality I've every seen. Carbon clothes, cheap and easily moved tree stands, and all the other technology I just spoke of, yet they flip their whiney little asses at the thought of another hunter with a broadhead on a xbow using the woods the same time they are. I think there should be a 6 week longbow/recurve season and a 1 week compound / crossbow season. Let the whiney little bitches go back to the beginning of where archery started if they can't play nice with the gun hunter, cross bow shooters and the ML crowd.
    Last edited by NH Hunter; 04-22-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.