Thread: E-Scouting Turkeys

Default E-Scouting Turkeys

So, I am trying to narrow down scouting locations for some boots on the ground work, in east central MA (Zones 9 and 10). I know a lot the public areas that have the optimum pines, oaks, and field combo are typically packed with other hunters and getting too crowded for my comfort. So I am hoping to find birds in more heavily wooded areas. Looking at areas with a good mix of pines and oaks still, with a plan to hit those areas where's there a change over from one to the other like an island of pines surrounded by oaks or vice versa. Ideally relatively near water sources like small ponds and bogs. I was also looking at electric utility corridors, but over my first couple seasons of looking hunting turkeys so far, I really haven't seen much turkey activity along the power lines. What else am I missing? Are more heavily wooded areas away from fields a waste of time? Are there other general habitat features you'd recommend looking for when you're scanning aerials?

Any recommendations welcome!

Power lines are usually money. Especially ones that run parallel to mixed forest and agriculture. Have you been at those spots 45 minutes before sunrise to listen for gobbling the week before the season? or at last light? I don't put much stock into where the turkeys are right now three weeks before the season. They are breaking up out of big flocks and establishing new turf right now. So hot sign right now might not be hot sign on opening day.

Also don't get scared away from the public spots that are obvious. Sure opening morning and the first Saturday will be busy especially at first light. But even on opening day a lot of spots clear out by 9:30 am. Which in my opinion is the best time to kill a turkey.

Big woods turkey hunting is tough the birds will be scattered. Its even tougher in suburbia of Zone 9 and 10. Lots of birds sitting at bird feeders means no need to wonder the woods scratching for acorns and bugs. Focus scouting early and late. Spend lots of time hunting mid-morning would be my advice.

I feel like my identity has been stolen
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    I feel like my identity has been stolen
    You popped in my head as I was typing the thread name... but it seemed the most appropriate term. I'm not old enough to pull off "Computer Scouting for Turkeys".

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    Power lines are usually money. Especially ones that run parallel to mixed forest and agriculture. Have you been at those spots 45 minutes before sunrise to listen for gobbling the week before the season? or at last light? I don't put much stock into where the turkeys are right now three weeks before the season. They are breaking up out of big flocks and establishing new turf right now. So hot sign right now might not be hot sign on opening day.

Also don't get scared away from the public spots that are obvious. Sure opening morning and the first Saturday will be busy especially at first light. But even on opening day a lot of spots clear out by 9:30 am. Which in my opinion is the best time to kill a turkey.

Big woods turkey hunting is tough the birds will be scattered. Its even tougher in suburbia of Zone 9 and 10. Lots of birds sitting at bird feeders means no need to wonder the woods scratching for acorns and bugs. Focus scouting early and late. Spend lots of time hunting mid-morning would be my advice.
    Good advice, thank you! I feel like employers should offer hunting sabbaticals for X number of years of service.