Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy from Texas

She wanted to preserve the hide and spoil less meat. Therefore=Head Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by D Harry View Post
    She wanted to preserve the hide and spoil less meat. Therefore=Head Shot.
    Is that a Texas thing?
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    Is that a Texas thing?
    I think you are thinking about the Texas heart shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 05-02-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Not a Texas "Thing." It's something that skilled shooters can do, not all skilled shooters live/hunt in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by D Harry View Post
    Not a Texas "Thing." It's something that skilled shooters can do, not all skilled shooters live/hunt in Texas.
    Not trying to argue with you big fella..... It's just that a "head shot" was more then discouraged since I was a kid, whether it be from elders passing hunting along, or during hunter education/safety classes. I guess I'm out of the loop on "skilled shooters" killing game in the head. My bad........

As for "not damaging the hide", or " ruining meat" since when does shooting any animal in the lungs, behind the shoulder ruin meat? And a hole is a hole if it's in the head or behind the shoulder. If you're having the hide tanned any taxidermist worth their salt should be able to fix the hole. Well that's just my opinion, which is why I asked....... apparently we agree to disagree. Good luck this season.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

I can shoot about as good as anyone that I have seen, but after running up and down mountains, thru swamps, and snow, I'll be damned if I am shooting at the bucks head with my peep sighted 99! That's a dang small mark to hit!!
    Last edited by longbow; 05-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Professionals who remove deer from high deer population area restrict themselves to head shots. With such a hit the deer perishes instantly without movement. They have solid rest, well practiced, and confident in their shots.

At the end of the day I see such a shot coming down to the shooters equipment and confidence.

Congrats to the successful hunter.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.