Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7600 35 Whelen Carbine Stock Swap

Default 7600 35 Whelen Carbine Stock Swap

So, I got the wood stocks today for my Grice synthetic 35 Whelen Carbine.

Forend went on pretty easy.

Was surprised to find they sent it with no butt plate!?. I guess that is another part, but I wish they would have told me I needed it. I did explain what I was trying to do.

I found that the bolt that holds the butt stock on is too long for the wood stock. Where the washer engages the stock is further forward. You can see where it needs to be on the synthetic stock and where it is on the wood stock.

So, I at first thought that I needed a shorter bolt. Now, I am thinking I can just use plastic washers to take up the space. Maybe I'll see if Remington has the right bolt for it also.

Will call Remington tomorrow and hopefully order the butt plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 03-12-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Wood looks sharp! Hard to tell from pics and if understanding correctly, but if bolt is longer, can you size up to existing bolt on synthetic, make a mark for desired length, spin a nut onto, and cut just above nut? Unscrewing nut should leave w/ clean/even threads.
    "Say when."

Now she is a looker. I have to do this to mine. I hate synthetic on some guns. Where did you get the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmoore View Post
    Wood looks sharp! Hard to tell from pics and if understanding correctly, but if bolt is longer, can you size up to existing bolt on synthetic, make a mark for desired length, spin a nut onto, and cut just above nut? Unscrewing nut should leave w/ clean/even threads.
    I think I am just going to buy the right sized bolt. This way if someone wants to change the stocks, it will be just a matter of switching bolts. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejd View Post
    Now she is a looker. I have to do this to mine. I hate synthetic on some guns. Where did you get the stock.
    Ordered it directly from Remington.

Nothing is easy! But the gun does look good.
    If you should ever want to sell it drop me a PM.
    Last edited by NY Hunter; 03-13-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Just got off the phone with Remington. Ordered the shorter bolt and butt plate insert. Also, ordered two more sets of everything, so all 3 of my Whelen carbines will have both wood and synthetic stocks and the proper bolts/washers to make for easy swapping if desired.
    Last edited by longbow; 03-13-2019 at 09:08 AM.

As a rule when I'm looking to buy a gun from gun broker . I will not buy a gun with a wooden stock just from the generic picture.
    I want to see the actual picture of the gun and stock. If the seller doesn't want to send me the pictures then I dont buy it . All grains and colors on stocks are not created equal.
    Some are light , some are dark , some have awful grain patterns and some are eye catching beautiful.
    Longbow you made out very well on buying that stock sight unseen. Very nice looking grain and color . Hope the others come as nice as that one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    As a rule when I'm looking to buy a gun from gun broker . I will not buy a gun with a wooden stock just from the generic picture.
    I want to see the actual picture of the gun and stock. If the seller doesn't want to send me the pictures then I dont buy it . All grains and colors on stocks are not created equal.
    Some are light , some are dark , some have awful grain patterns and some are eye catching beautiful.
    Longbow you made out very well on buying that stock sight unseen. Very nice looking grain and color . Hope the others come as nice as that one for you.
    Yes would be nice to go right to the Remington factory and look at them all and pick them out! LOL I’m happy with the first one will see what the others look like I’m sure I could send it back if I didn’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    Longbow you made out very well on buying that stock sight unseen. Very nice looking grain and color . .
    I put a tag on it with your name. When it goes up in price enough I’ll give you a call.