Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 300 Pound Buck

Quote Originally Posted by groundtender View Post
    . Who’d you go with in SK? You musta liked it
    Lawson Creek Outfitters, hunted near Porcupine Plains.

Quite an adventure. We stayed in wall tents miles back in the woods. We heard bucks fighting outside our tents at night. Area just loaded with big deer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent, what amazing mass on the split tiner. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Lawson Creek Outfitters, hunted near Porcupine Plains.

Quite an adventure. We stayed in wall tents miles back in the woods. We heard bucks fighting outside our tents at night. Area just loaded with big deer.
    Holy molly, that there is a big buck!!

Quote Originally Posted by groundtender View Post
    Excellent, what amazing mass on the split tiner. Thx
    Thanks, I actually passed him up 2 times the morning of my last day of hunting. There was a much bigger one that I was after. This was my 5th trip to Canada so I was holding out.

So, after passing up the buck twice, it was now 12 noon and it was starting to get warm. I was starting to think it was over, when from a different direction I see a nice buck. I thought it was the big one, and I shot it in the neck from about 80 yards. The neck was all I could see. 35 Whelen, 7600 and 200 grain Corelokt, dropped him on the spot. Found out it was the same one I had passed earlier in the morning. It scored 162, but the other one was pushing 180.

The other one has a 4" flyer of his G2. That along with his 20 inch spread and mass was all I needed to see on the first day of my first trip to Sask. 444 Marlin and 240 grain Corelokt got full penetration at 80 yards broadside. They said he was 11 years old and on the decline. His teeth were worn down to the gums in the back.

I always wanted to be able to remark, "this one would not have been any bigger next year"...
    Last edited by longbow; 02-25-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Those are great deer longbow

Is the fur worn off the buck on the right?
    I've already told you more than I know.

Great stories. It’s pretty apparent why you could see his neck...it just about blocks out the sun! Hope to get to SK or AB someday.

Longbow have you ever thought about going back out there to hunt again ?

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    Longbow have you ever thought about going back out there to hunt again ?
    Yes, he said he has not set up a tent camp in a while, but would if I got a few guys together. I guess they usually put the guys at a motel in Porcupine Plains and then pick them up every morning.

I would like to stay in the tent camp if I went back. They have one big wall tent for sleeping with a wood stove and propane heat and another wall tent next to it with the kitchen and large dining table.

You park the truck and trailers and drive a few miles in on 4 wheelers to the camp. I know this is hard to believe, but the first day when we drove into camp there was a 150 inch class 10 point eating the alfalfa bails next to the tent. He was not afraid at all and Marylyn the camp cook and coowner said he was off limits, as he was the "camp" deer.

At night there were deer eating the alfalfa bails next to the tent, and bucks fighting right next to the tent! lol

It was so much fun, I had constant action all day long and we all shot deer over 150" with live weights of 275+.

It was different hunting than I was used to, namely hiking around in Maine and seeing nothing. Back then I did not bait deer at all, and I thought, is this really a challenge? But, I accepted it for what it is, something completely different and a heck of a lot of fun!! Deer hunting heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Those are great deer longbow

Is the fur worn off the buck on the right?
    No, that is just some glare from when I took the picture. You can see the bullet hole at the base of the neck where it meets the shoulder.

I think it was 2500 for the week back then. I think they get about 3500 now, but I would have to check on that.