Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baircasting reel

Default Baircasting reel

I blew up a cheap baitcasting reel on a relatively small muskie last year and in need of a replacement. Trying to stay in the $100 range. Reel is used mainly for smallmouth fishing.

I guess I should have also said that I prefer a low profile and 6.3:1ish ratio.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    Last edited by JDK; 02-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

I dont know much about baitcasting reels but I have always heard Abu Garcia is a great reel.

The very top one on this ebay list thats has the price slashed fits your description.
    The price showing $159 has been discounted to $90 with free shipping when you put it in your cart.
    Lots of other ones on ebay as low as $40

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+reel&_sacat=0

I can sum up my total experience with freshwater baitcasting reels with " I've already told you more than I know. "
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 02-10-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Thank you

I use 6500C3s for my regular muskie reels (and like them a lot) and the one that disintegrated was a Garcia Silver Max.

JDK,
    I used a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier for 10 or 12 years in Florida. The lakes I fished for largemouth bass became infested with snook which became pretty large. I landed at least a dozen snook over 20 lbs on the Pro Qualifier without any problems. The reel costs about $100. For large Musky their Offshore Angler Inshore Extreme baitcaster ($119) might be a better match.
    I have also used an Abu 7000 and 6500 quite a bit for larger striped bass without incident. The Abu's are a lot more rugged than the Pro Qualifier but they are larger and heavier. It may be difficult to get a really rugged low profile baitcaster for less than $100. I think I would stick with the ABu 6500 reels for larger muskies. The Pro Qualifier would certainly be more than adequate for smallmouth bass and smaller (20 lbs or so) muskies.

Thanks OldHunter

I'll look into those reels also.

I wasn't specifically fishing for muskie at the time with that rod but I guess you never know.

I asked my friend from central Maine that fishes tournaments every weekend the water is open. Experienced guy, gear hound, fishes bass all over the country. He said Lews Speed Spool LFS for your application. Said the quality and features are way above the price point.

The Lews looks nice. I never heard of them before but looking at the specs they look like they are well built

https://www.cabelas.com/product/LEWS...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks. That may be the one.

I was also looking at the Daiwa Tatula series but they are more expensive.

New England Game & Fish magazine's March issue has a review of baitcasting reels. They rated the Lews in the middle of the pack with a note saying "Smoothness for a great retail." The Diawa came in with a slightly lower score than the Lews with the note "Value-priced quality from Diawa".

Spinning reel quality is so much better these days I’m down to one baitcaster. It’s a Shimano Calcutta. Granted it’s more than $100 but that Shmano has lasted years, in a salt environment.