Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 760 Forearm Repair

Default 760 Forearm Repair

Anyone ever do any repair work on their own stocks or forearm before ? Picked up a couple this week to add to the collection lol and one of them the previous owner for some unknown reason thought it was easier to drill a hole in the middle of the forearm underneath for the sling swivel attachment. Gun is in great condition other than that, removed the swivel after I got it home and I'm thinking about doing a small amount of wood stock filler etc to cover the small screw hole, but want something that will last. Any certain kind that might be better than another for anyone that has done this type of repair before ?

Personally I would drill it out to 1/4 inch and fill it with either a piece of walnut dowel or a walnut button plug like these if you want the decorative look. You can stain the head of the plug to match the color of the stock before you glue it in. Then sand off the plug on the inside of the forearm. You can probably find these at any woodworking shop or home depot.

https://www.amazon.com/WIDGETCO-Waln...ut+button+plug

If you just want to fill the hole , a guy I know that repairs furniture uses Timbermate wood filler. You can get it for all the different woods
    Here is the one for walnut. I believe the Rem 760's came with a walnut stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Timbermate-Wa...bermate+walnut
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 12-30-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Ok thanks

How about a before and after photo? Are you brave?

lol it's not really a big issue to repair, basically a small hole but just want to do it right the first time and have it blend it the best I can. I have extra stock sets but might just switch this one out one of the ones I use a lot more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some of the better wood workers on here would know better, but I like the idea of a glued in plug.

[QUOTE=longbow;619302]Some of the better wood workers on here would know better, but I like the idea of a glued in plug.[/QUOTE

Kinda leaning that way after seeing SportsmanNH suggestion, never really gave that any thought. I'll probably switch that stock set out when I get done and use it on one of the rifles I use more for next season.
    Last edited by silver belly62; 12-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.

I foresee getting the plug and finish to match being extremely difficult. A base end of a piece of brass of whatever caliber the firearm is would be a good insert if matching does prove to be difficult.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    I foresee getting the plug and finish to match being extremely difficult. A base end of a piece of brass of whatever caliber the firearm is would be a good insert if matching does prove to be difficult.
    You mean like the way they have the end of the primer end from a cartridge, like the model 6 has above the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    You mean like the way they have the end of the primer end from a cartridge, like the model 6 has above the magazine

Correct.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.