Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Garmin Inreach Explorer

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbVT View Post
    Thanks KC- do you use your phone then, while in your unit is in the pack? Could you just use the unit and leave out pairing with the phone?
    Yes to both. The phone has a bigger screen and the app has all the same functionality as the unit, so I have been using that with the unit in my pack. It’s just another free option, but if you wanted to just use the unit and leave the phone in your truck that would be fine too, or if your phone was dead, etc.

    Im still new to it, but it’s really easy to use. The gps isn’t nearly as good as my garmin 600, but for hunting I’m just looking to get back to the truck if necessary.

    Im going to get Kruse to give me a good tutorial when I see him as he’s got these things down as all his guys are running them in the groomers in the winter so he can keep track and get emergency texts on breakdowns, etc. We was showing me all sorts of functions and mapping I need to get caught up to speed on.
    Last edited by Kingman Cruncher; 09-14-2019 at 06:58 AM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Thatís pretty neat on the unit/phone app interface. Imagine that might be easier viewing and toggling like you were saying. My only thought is my iPhones never seemed to hold a good charge in the cold, but then again maybe the newer ones are better. I remember glancing the text data plans a long time ago, is it still monthly? Did you figure unlimited was best? Just curious, as that seems a better way to go than radios.
    "Say when."

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmoore View Post
    That’s pretty neat on the unit/phone app interface. Imagine that might be easier viewing and toggling like you were saying. My only thought is my iPhones never seemed to hold a good charge in the cold, but then again maybe the newer ones are better. I remember glancing the text data plans a long time ago, is it still monthly? Did you figure unlimited was best? Just curious, as that seems a better way to go than radios.
    I leave mine in my front Woolie pocket everyday for pictures. Never really have an issue, but you can also put it in airplane mode and be fine too.

    For the plan, I’m doing month to month, suspend once winter is over. Only 10 texts a month then charged after that. Don’t suspect I’ll use it for texting unless a buck is down or I need help. Could increase the plan for November if I need it. I think 2 guys I hunt with are getting them. Will have to check but I thought the InReach to InReach messages were free.

    One concern i had was the timing it took to send and receive. I have been testing. Outgoing messages are received by people with cell phones in seconds. Messages coming back from cell phones to unit are 10-30 minutes. I read it takes 10 minutes for the data to reach the satellites and be pushed down, then the unit pulls it in on a set frequency you set to conserve battery. Even pulling in continuously I’m getting a decent delay at times.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    One more update, with a couple clicks of a button within the app I was able to download free satellite images of terrain for large blocks to cover off all of my hunting areas. They overlay the topo maps if you want and pretty much shows you exactly where you are, roads, cuts, etc.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Thanks, that would be good to hear if it turns out device-to-device is free. Sounds like some pretty neat features, and good point on shifting from pack to pocket where warmer plus don’t think I ever remembered to switch to airplane mode.
    "Say when."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmoore View Post
    Thanks, that would be good to hear if it turns out device-to-device is free. Sounds like some pretty neat features, and good point on shifting from pack to pocket where warmer plus don’t think I ever remembered to switch to airplane mode.
    Confirmed Inreach to Inreach is treated like a regular text message.

    Did set set up three messages that will now be preset that are always free. Have one, “running late but everything is ok”, “just checking in, here is my location”, “got back fine”
    Last edited by Kingman Cruncher; 09-14-2019 at 04:05 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Confirmed Inreach to Inreach is treated like a regular text message.

    Did set set up three messages that will now be preset that are always free. Have one, “running late but everything is ok”, “just checking in, here is my location”, “got back fine”
    What ! No preset message " Big Buck Down !!! " and another " Get Over Here And Help Me Drag ! "

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    What ! No preset message " Big Buck Down !!! " and another " Get Over Here And Help Me Drag ! "
    Those are unlikely situations for me!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Zone 10 MA. Zone 15/12 ME
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Have you tried inreach to inreach text yet? I was wondering if there was a delay with those as well.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    382

    Default

    I have a Garmin Mini also but haven't set it up yet.

    Roger-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •