Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vacuum sealers

Default vacuum sealers

Not sure this is the right place to put this one, so feel free to move it where it should be.

Anyone using vacuum sealers? If so, do you have any recommendations and/or advise? We have always used freezer paper, but are thinking about moving to vacuum sealing for meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.

I've been using a food saver vacuum sealer and the food saver bags. Does a good job with venison. Doesnt do a good job when there is a lot of moisture in the product being vacuum sealed as the moisture gets sucked up into the part thats about to be sealed and prevents a good seal from forming. I have to reopen the bag and dry as much as I can with a paper towel. I only use it a couple times a year for/if venison and fish I catch.

I’ve used a food saver for a few years it’s ok. If you cut your own bags from rolls the can over heat and shut down on you after 10-12. Depending on your butchering setup it may be in your best interest to go for something a little better. If your a one man operation it’ll probably be fine. When my brothers and I cut and grind deer we can outpace the foodsaver. We’re looking to upgrade in the next year or so.

I have a foodsaver as well. I only use it for freezing ground meat or cased summer sausage. I stiil wrap steaks in plastic wrap and freezer paper. I found the vacuum sealer did not perform well on blanched vegetables, too mush mousture to get a good seal as mentioned above.

I have never used one personally but my butcher does. I have taken out packages of burger, sausage, or steak that it is 2 years old and itís still pink and looks and tastes like it did on day one. Itís really amazing. If I cut my own meat, I would have one.
    Last edited by Kingman Cruncher; 12-14-2018 at 05:43 AM.

We've used both a Food Saver and butcher paper. Both work fine IMO.

Most of the time, meat from a deer doesn't last much more than a year anyway, so well done butcher paper is just as adequate as a vacuum sealer.

I think the freezer you put your stuff in is just as important as how it's packaged. A manual defrost freezer will always outperform and keep things fresher than a frost free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    I have never used one personally but my butcher does. I have taken out packages of burger, sausage, or steak that it is 2 years old and it’s still pink and looks and tastes like it did on day one. It’s really amazing. If I cut my own meat, I would have one.
    I agree with everything you said. I will only bring a deer to a butcher that has one. I've found some venison steaks and stew meat in my freezer that were 3 years old. Still tasted great . The last few years I haven't bothered with hamburger or roasts. Just cut everything into steaks , chops , , stew meat , and have sausages made in different flavors..

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    We've used both a Food Saver and butcher paper. Both work fine IMO.

Most of the time, meat from a deer doesn't last much more than a year anyway, so well done butcher paper is just as adequate as a vacuum sealer.

I think the freezer you put your stuff in is just as important as how it's packaged. A manual defrost freezer will always outperform and keep things fresher than a frost free.
    NM I dont agree with you on the freezer paper being anywhere near as good as vacuum packing .

I 100 percent agree with you on the manual defrost freezer will outperform a frost free freezer in keeping meat fresh . Its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    I agree with everything you said. I will only bring a deer to a butcher that has one. I've found some venison steaks and stew meat in my freezer that were 3 years old. Still tasted great . The last few years I haven't bothered with hamburger or roasts. Just cut everything into steaks , chops , , stew meat , and have sausages made in different flavors..

NM I dont agree with you on the freezer paper being anywhere near as good as vacuum packing .

I 100 percent agree with you on the manual defrost freezer will outperform a frost free freezer in keeping meat fresh . Its not even close.
    My point on it being just as good is contingent upon the meat off one deer not lasting more than a year in the average household if it's being eaten pretty regularly.

I've had 3 over the last 10 or so years. All Food Savers. The first 2 were in the $175 range and I got about 3 years out of each before they quit. The last one I bought was the cheapest they make and about $60 at Kohl's after all the sales and discounts. It had very good reviews. It has outlasted the first two I had and still works great. It will overheat and shut down if you try to seal too many bags in a row. Doesn't seal well with anything full of moisture, like berries or fish unless I put them on a tray in the freezer for an hour first before bagging them. I have a little deer meat left from 2 years ago and it seems to be as good as when I bagged it. I also use it to seal book matches that I carry in my pack and other small items that I want to waterproof like a small pack of wood shavings and copies of licenses. I figured that I could buy 3 of the cheap ones if the last one I bought failed, for the price of one of the more expensive ones I had that failed. I also use it on meat that I buy in bulk when on sale and repackage for later use.

Thanks all. The butcher paper has always worked well for our deer meat. We were looking more towards the blanched vegetables, berries. Sounds like it will work, but requires the extra step of getting them firm in a freezer first. That would frustrate me, but if my wife doesn't care....I'm happy to stay out of the middle of that.