Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unload and Reload?

I'd unload it. Then I would save the powder and sabot for target practice

So, what did you do Pete?

I just unloaded mine yesterday...pellets popped right out and the shockwave pushed out easily. Nice clean barrel ready for next year.

Reload to be sure. There's nothing more wasteful than the opportunity to take down a good one and not do so because you wanted to save on a bullet.

Years ago, one of the guys at our deer camp tracked a nice buck in the snow the last day of the season. He got a glimpse of him that day, confirming he was a wall hanger. He hunted that buck all day, but never got a shot off at him. At the end of the day he got back to camp, and decided to fire his gun. When he pulled the trigger, the gun made a soft pop, and the bullet came out and landed about 15 feet from the end of his barrel. His pellets had gotten wet at some point! Pellets and bullets are cheap. When in doubt, reload it. I will reload mine at the end of each weekend. If I am hunting in the rain, or in a snow storm, I will reload it at the end of the day.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

You guys tape your barrels? Used to use electrical tape with mixed results. I’ve now have been cutting round disks just a hair larger diameter than the barrel out of black gorilla tape. Basically press and stick, no wrapping. You can stick your barrel in a puddle of water and hold it and no water can get inside. I actually tested it by putting a tissue in there and dunking it and it was bone dry. With today’s sealed breaches it’s hard to get water in that way too. I think condensation can be a concern if you don’t minimize temp extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    You guys tape your barrels? Used to use electrical tape with mixed results. Iíve now have been cutting round disks just a hair larger diameter than the barrel out of black gorilla tape. Basically press and stick, no wrapping. You can stick your barrel in a puddle of water and hold it and no water can get inside. I actually tested it by putting a tissue in there and dunking it and it was bone dry. With todayís sealed breaches itís hard to get water in that way too. I think condensation can be a concern if you donít minimize temp extremes.
    I'm a little off subject here but I always tape the barrel of my deer rifle (.308) for safety's sake, regardless of the weather. It's too easy to plug the barrel with snow, mud, bark or a stick. I have a BOSS on my rifle barrel so the end diameter hole is about 5/8th of an inch across. I use electrical tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    You guys tape your barrels? Used to use electrical tape with mixed results. I’ve now have been cutting round disks just a hair larger diameter than the barrel out of black gorilla tape. Basically press and stick, no wrapping. You can stick your barrel in a puddle of water and hold it and no water can get inside. I actually tested it by putting a tissue in there and dunking it and it was bone dry. With today’s sealed breaches it’s hard to get water in that way too. I think condensation can be a concern if you don’t minimize temp extremes.
    I use electrical tape, but after the first shot the barrel is wide open for the day.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

After the first shot it shouldn't matter.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

I would reload, This past season a good friend had a Large Buck at 30 yds and had a hang fire with his due to hunting in the rain the previous day. Clean miss but the opportunities
    are far and few. Don't take a chance He's still bumming. As far as covering the barrel I cut the tip off black nitrile gloves and use black tape or rubber band.