Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help...looking for bow

Default Need help...looking for bow

I could use some help finding a newer bow..Haven't bow hunted since the late '90s and I'd like to get a bow newer than my Golden Eagle.Bow cannot break the bank and doesn't have to be brand new.I'd like to get back into bow hunting and don't know where to start with a bow upgrade.I'm a lefty and can't really remember the draw length on my old bow.Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated!

Most every one of the bow companies offer "budget friendly" models and packages that are a HUGE upgrade to what you currently have. Head to your nearest pro shop and see what they offer and try out a few different models.

You need to start off by going to a reputable bow shop. Get your draw length measured, shoot a few bows, figure out how much weight you want to draw. You also need to know your budget. Just prepared to spend more than you think you will. In addition to the bow, you’ll need all the accessories. Rest, sight, quiver, stabilizer, arrows. If you ask for recommendations on a specific bow, you’ll get 100 different answers from people because it’s like asking “what’s the best truck?” The good news is that pretty much any modern bow is going to feel amazing compared to your old bow. They draw easier, have much more letoff. Stay away from the “ready to shoot packages” that most manufacturers have available. They usually come with junk accessories on them that you will want to change immediately. If you look around and don’t require the flagship bow from a particular brand, you can buy a lower level model brand new for $400-$500. A flagship bow will set you back $900-$1200. Figure another $400-$500 for accessories. If you get your draw length measured, you can search the used market. I have gotten my last 2 bows used on Archerytalk for short money, and I have no regrets. More and more bows are now offered with adjustable draw lengths, instead of fixed draw lengths, which is very nice.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Use the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Use the old one.
    Come on, you should whittle him one if you want to be encouraging him to stay old school LMAO!!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I'm giving myself hives even saying this and if you can get past his BS, Old Town Archery may be helpful.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Come on, you should whittle him one if you want to be encouraging him to stay old school LMAO!!
    I was going to say cut a tree down and start drying it and you will be ready to go in a few years. lol I just think it would be cool if he dusted the old one off and shot a deer with it. I bet he could put all his shots in a baseball size group or better at 20-30 yards with it.

I do have to disagree with escout's assertion that "ready to shoot" packages come with junk accessories. Most of the companies offer packages with low, middle and high end options on the accessories and you can often tailor them to your budget.
    There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun. - Fred Bear

Archery Plus - The Bowhunter's Pro Shop
    http://www.archery-plus.com

NWTF - Massachusetts Chapter Website
    http://www.manwtf.com

I think its important to remember that its easy to fall victim of paralysis by analysis with archery gear. If you go to a reputable shop, and they set you up in a modern bow, its going to be 10x what the old golden eagle was. (I know first hand) Entry level, or lightly used bows are great, but only seem to reach their potential when you have a pro help set it up.

I personally bought a lightly used high end bow a few years back and I love it.
    My 14yr old bought a brand new Mission from a good dealer, set up and out the door for around $450, and he's as deadly as I am, probably more. (Although, he doesn't drink beer while we target shoot in the yard, so he has an advantage)

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    (Although, he doesn't drink beer while we target shoot in the yard, so he has an advantage)
    I prefer to think of it as "Draw Lube"
    There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun. - Fred Bear

Archery Plus - The Bowhunter's Pro Shop
    http://www.archery-plus.com

NWTF - Massachusetts Chapter Website
    http://www.manwtf.com