Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine 2018 Deer Harvest Map

Default Maine 2018 Deer Harvest Map

86BC1A24-B1C6-4706-9A23-1BD8E682A3BB.jpg. Interesting to compare this to the 2017 map. Just looking close up at Moose River Twp and Dole Pond, both show considerable increases for 2018.

The towns/townships I typically hunt remained about the same with the exception of Caribou which was down significantly in 2018. Shows you the effect of not being able to field hunt.
    I've already told you more than I know.

That's interesting. I would have expected the Dole Pond to be much lower from 2017 since there was so much snow early and much of the area was impassable or not easily accessible.

As for the Moose river increase, I suspect that to be due to folks hunting around town due to the heavy snow and limited accessibility in their normal hunting areas.

It would be interesting to see the dates of harvest in some of those areas. Could explain a lot. It wouldn't be hard to rack up that number in Dole just hunting from the road with the snow we had. It's certainly not because of all the people and places to stay up in that country.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

The summary on page 2 of the report indicates that after the snows of November 10 - 14 the kill rate took off and exceeded that of 2017. I’m sure that somewhere in F&W there’s date info that is more precise, even if just by week and WMD. Also, present company excepted of course, I’ve always wondered what the truthfulness factor is when someone is indicating kill spot at registration time

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    It would be interesting to see the dates of harvest in some of those areas. Could explain a lot. It wouldn't be hard to rack up that number in Dole just hunting from the road with the snow we had. It's certainly not because of all the people and places to stay up in that country.
    That's what was kind of throwing me off with that number. That area had 20+ inches of snow by like the 14th or 15th. Hardly anyone was stepping out of their truck.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    That's what was kind of throwing me off with that number. That area had 20+ inches of snow by like the 14th or 15th. Hardly anyone was stepping out of their truck.
    Don't have to if you know that country with those conditions. Just a waiting game. Kind of sad if you ask me.
    Last edited by Big D; 03-15-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

What is more interesting is looking at historic harvest numbers per town rather that just one year.
    The numbers are all over the place with many different factors involved . The harvest in Jackman and surrounding area in 2005 would make 2018 look like an off year.
    The harvests in certain towns around where I hunt in Solon go from 43 to 160 through the years . This year there was 91 . In 2017 there was 86.

https://www1.maine.gov/search?q=deer...est_collection
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 03-17-2019 at 12:43 AM.