Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine P&P Lousy Hunters! lol

Default Maine P&P Lousy Hunters! lol

First, congrats to MGK for the nice buck he got to win the Maine P&P contest! But... I find in pretty amazing that 23 Hunting Chat members in the Maine deer contest couldn't shoot a Maine deer this year. What a year. Maybe we need some more how to threads on here.

Ouch. those odds are probably right if you hunt northern Maine. From all the great reports this year a lot of guys busted their humps up here including you. We might have been able to add one more but we would have been dragging him back from Canada.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

I've been talking about this years Maine season with a lot of guys I know. It was a very strange year in the Western Maine mountains. I know of at least 10 guys that are not on HC that got good bucks in 2016, about half near or over 200 lbs, who ended up with nothing this year. I did shoot my biggest tree ever, a 7" maple, so at least I had an opportunity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Russell Brothers tagged a buck

Quote Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
    Russell Brothers tag a buck
    Yeah, a couple were taken by people not in the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    I've been talking about this years Maine season with a lot of guys I know. It was a very strange year in the Western Maine mountains. I know of at least 10 guys that are not on HC that got good bucks in 2016, about half near or over 200 lbs, who ended up with nothing this year. I did shoot my biggest tree ever, a 7" maple, so at least I had an opportunity.
    I still can't get over how perfectly centered you hit it. Those light colored trees have a habit of jumping in front of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    I’ve been thinking along the same lines. Seems like most of the guys I know who are relatively consistent came home empty. Not that coming home empty doesn’t happen, but to happen across the board seemed rare.

Let us hope that 2017 was just an anomaly, and we'll all get back to shooting big bucks next fall.

We had a slow year as well. The one deer our crew shot was a hog. His stomach was FULL of beech nuts. Seems like an abundance of food can make for tough hunting.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    First, congrats to MGK for the nice buck he got to win the Maine P&P contest! But... I find in pretty amazing that 23 Hunting Chat members in the Maine deer contest couldn't shoot a Maine deer this year. What a year. Maybe we need some more how to threads on here.
    Not sure how you determined that... just counted the # who signed up and subtracted # of deer submitted? I for one got my Maine deer. Freezer was bare and I shot the first doe that gave me an opportunity during bow season. No regrets at all. I've got my name on the plaque a few times, and would have a third if Id signed up in 2015. Quite frankly it doesn't mean that much to me except to see my name on it with a handful of deer hunters who are much better than I'll ever be, including MGK! In fact, I had to look back to even see if I signed up this year...