Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have either of Dick Bernier's books?

Default Does anyone have either of Dick Bernier's books?

I was just looking on line for old copies of Larry Benoit's book when I was directed to Dick Bernier's books. I was surprised at how much people were asking for them. I checked eBay and Amazon. Both places showed either book to be valued over 100.00. Is there a cult following for his books? I was under the impression that most people didn't care for his writing. I've never read either book. Are they good reads?

I have The Deer Trackers and On The Track, by Bernier. Started reading, but it's definitely a different writing style, kind of long winded, never finished much of either book. There is a heck of a lot of info., in there if you can extract it. Maybe I'll give them another try. Not sure how much of a following he still has, pretty popular years back, have not heard much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 12-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.

I echo LB on the Bernier books, especially the second one. The first was ok reading. A book that i like to pick up and read every year just for the stories, is Del Greens Wide Racks and Tall Tales. Some great stories and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    I echo LB on the Bernier books, especially the second one. The first was ok reading. A book that i like to pick up and read every year just for the stories, is Del Greens Wide Racks and Tall Tales. Some great stories and informative.
    I read the first Bernier book a number of years ago. It was okay, but it is a diffetent writing style. I’ll echo Nate on Del Green’s book. It’s good reading and alot of it is centered on the camp culture of the camps that are on what is now the Silvio Conte Refuge outside of Island Pond. I’ve roamed alot of that area so it’s easy to visualize the settings, plus theres some Maine trips sprinkled in. I found another good read this summer written by an adjacent camp owner, Skip Lamere, titled “Camp Stories from Vermonts Backwoods”. It has a handful of hunting stories but most are from year round adventures and camaraderie at camp, and most are only 3-4 pages each so its an easy pick up and put down read. If you long for a camp already Shawn you should be careful reading those two, probably sell your house to fund a camp!

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    I read the first Bernier book a number of years ago. It was okay, but it is a diffetent writing style. I’ll echo Nate on Del Green’s book. It’s good reading and alot of it is centered on the camp culture of the camps that are on what is now the Silvio Conte Refuge outside of Island Pond. I’ve roamed alot of that area so it’s easy to visualize the settings, plus theres some Maine trips sprinkled in. I found another good read this summer written by an adjacent camp owner, Skip Lamere, titled “Camp Stories from Vermonts Backwoods”. It has a handful of hunting stories but most are from year round adventures and camaraderie at camp, and most are only 3-4 pages each so its an easy pick up and put down read. If you long for a camp already Shawn you should be careful reading those two, probably sell your house to fund a camp!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check those books out this winter. It may be as close as I get to camp for a while. My son is applying to a private school. I think that will take care of my camp fund for the next four years if he's excepted.

I have both. Haven't re read either in a while. If I remember correctly, I liked the 1st better than the 2nd but both had some good stories and info.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

I have 3 of his books. Definitely a different writing style but I felt there was some great info. The third book talks more about phases of the rut and predicting when these phases will happen. All 3 are worth while reads in my opinion but if I had one of the 3 the third book is the one I would pick

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check those books out this winter. It may be as close as I get to camp for a while. My son is applying to a private school. I think that will take care of my camp fund for the next four years if he's excepted.
    Public schools not to good in your area?

not bashing religion but rg seems to really try and ram god and religion down your throat, it seemed in the second book. his writing now is great, less religion and more deer hunting. not that I am against church and god but too much is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed blade View Post
    I have 3 of his books. Definitely a different writing style but I felt there was some great info. The third book talks more about phases of the rut and predicting when these phases will happen. All 3 are worth while reads in my opinion but if I had one of the 3 the third book is the one I would pick
    I actually have the 3rd also. I'll have to break it out this winter because I can't remember a damn thing about it.
    I love it when a plan comes together!