Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stormy Kromer

Great customer service!

Last years buck with my Stormy Kromer. Was about 5* to start the day. I find the ear flaps that slide down work well for me.

PC100229.jpg
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

LOL!!! This is someone elses favorite too from the archives.
    Last edited by bigrak; 09-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Hmmmm.....almost has me rethinking that I should have gone with the orange instead of the red!

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have to be honest I looked at those before and thought they were made out thin wool and it looked like the thing was inside out with the stitching on the outside. I'll take another look. I like a warm hat, but I guess it might be ok for still hunting.
    I agree with mbVT....the ear flaps work surprisingly well.....but they are fairly thin....definitely not designed for sitting long periods in really cold weather. I always pack along a large knit cap and pull it right over the top when I need to. At least my hat is pretty thin wool....don't know if they make them in different weights?

My first stormy kromer rancher purchase arrived in the mail today. This thing better be warm because I'm on record as saying it's flat out ugly! If you older guys can remember the conehead skits from SNL, this hat is for them! I'll set my vanity aside if this thing keeps me warm, great warranty, American made.
    Last edited by WetWool; 09-24-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WetWool View Post
    My first stormy kromer ranger purchase arrived in the mail today. This thing better be warm because I'm on record as saying it's flat out ugly! If you older guys can remember the conehead skits from SNL, this hat is for them! I'll set my vanity aside if this thing keeps me warm, great warranty, American made.
    Do you mean "Rancher"? I can't find a SK "ranger" hat...

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Do you mean "Rancher"? I can't find a SK "ranger" hat...
    Yes, rancher, sorry.

Well, no matter how I tried, I just couldn't fall in love with the Stormy Kromer so back it went. For those looking for an alternative, I found something called a "windstopper sportsmans hat" made by alpacas of Montana, supposedly good to -30. It's $25 more on Amazon than the S.K. but I find it more comfortable and practical for what I wanted. Just another option for anyone thinking about a new hat, meets the hunter orange requirements about as vivid as the S.K., maybe a touch less.

S.K. piqued interest and then when living in Midwest w/ occasional work trips across MI’s U.P., made it a point to swing into their company’s small outlet store. Found some so-so deals and agreed, when trying on, at first thought they were a little odd until realizing def one of those items that needs to be broken in. Great item for long MN winters, my wife also wore hers a lot and normally, not a hat person. That’s cool you found a solid alternative, will checkout.
    "Say when."

I have one of these - I bought the wrong size. I think they sell by the 1/2 inch of your dome and think I am bought too small by 1/2-1 inch. I hoped it would stretch but likely they actually shrink. But i still wear it and love it. I agree it does not keep your ears warm when you pull down the flaps but it does help keep the wind off your ears which is enough for me. Great service they provided with the replacement - it is like the old LL Beans - but that is a different thread!