Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Shockwave

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    Did Vermont give out that many " Sapling Tags " or did you have to buy an over the counter tag after each kill ?
    I may have culled a few extra. Trying to pass on those superior genetics

Here's an update on this one. I scrapped the shockwaves this year, and went with the Barnes Expanders. All copper, hollow point, 300gr. Ethan shot his deer (which was small, to be fair - around 75-80lbs I'd guess) quartering to him at 50yrds. The bullet went in between the front shoulder and brisket, traveled the entire length of the deer, and ended up in a rear ham. Fantastic performance. Same with my fathers doe...broadside, 40yrds, and she was losing chunks of lung the size of a golf ball on her 40yrd sprint.

damn that's a nice looking after pic. Always liked the barnes bullets, might have to make the switch

I also ditched the shockwaves and went to the Barnes....I was very pleased with the results, dropped a 170lb 8 pt in his tracks. Bullet passed straight through, massive damage.

And even thought the idea of lead fragments in the meat is still debated, I'm confident there's no lead in these deer. I don't have a scale here, but I'm pretty sure there was almost no weight loss in the slug.

That Barnes looks great.

I can tell you that there was no lead in my deer either. The bullet never expanded, only lost it's tip.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    That Barnes looks great.

I can tell you that there was no lead in my deer either. The bullet never expanded, only lost it's tip.
    Funny, but you're right. None of mine ever expanded or even lost the tip. They just bent the tip to the side.
    This 300gr bullet is all copper and these mushroomed "petals" are strong and sharp. Its not hard to understand how they do so much damage. Interestingly though, I didn't have to trim away very much around where the slug hit the rear quarter. It was almost as if it cut like a broadhead back there, instead of demolishing like a lead bullet. I only have 2 deer to use as my sample size, but so far, I'm impressed. I'd also consider them for my rifles...

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    And even thought the idea of lead fragments in the meat is still debated, I'm confident there's no lead in these deer. I don't have a scale here, but I'm pretty sure there was almost no weight loss in the slug.
    Next year I hope to have more experience with the barnes muzzleloader sabots (that's as long as I can hit the damn things), but I know with their rifle bullets that's the big selling point, all copper, quick expansion, and 99% weigh retention. Pretty awesome, can't wait to try them.

Just to beat a dead horse.

2018 bullet.

file-33.jpg
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Just to beat a dead horse.

2018 bullet.

file-33.jpg

Wow. That is terrible.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.