Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Shockwave

Agree with that statement. Pretty bad performance.

Roger-

Well, I was reminded by my son to change bullets and just ordered a pack of Barnes Expanders and T-EZ. I'm hoping the Expanders shoot well in my TC but whichever shoots best will be used. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Only took me 2 years to decide.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Well, I was reminded by my son to change bullets and just ordered a pack of Barnes Expanders and T-EZ. I'm hoping the Expanders shoot well in my TC but whichever shoots best will be used. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Only took me 2 years to decide.
    You have company. I am making the same switch this year. I had been putting it off just because I had lots of shockwaves still around. But the history of poor performance was pretty clear and I have a few days coming up in the Adirondacks for early muzzle loader coming up. Now was as good a time as any.

X2 also making that switch this year

Decided to try BH 209 this year along with Harvester crush rib sabots.
    Did a trial fit at home and they seemed to load easier than the Shockwaves I'd been using.
    Also has some leftover XTP in a black sabot, weighed them up and found them to be 240gr, same as the .45cal XTP's I got to go with the crush ribs.
    Went out to sight in as I got a new Burris for the Impact.
    Decided to use the leftover XTP's up in the crushribs first to get on paper, then work up charges to best accuracy.
    First one down the tube went soooo easy, but missed the target. Ditto for the second shot.
    Brought the target to 25yds, pulled the breech plug and "bore sighted" the scope to the target.
    Third try = misfire, just a pop from the primer.
    I remember using Powerbelts years ago and having them migrate towards the muzzle as they loaded real easy in my old Black Diamond, so I dropped the ramrod down the tube and found the sabot/bullet about 5" off the charge.
    BH 209 needs to be compressed to light off (so I've read) so I pulled the plug, dumped the charge and pushed the sabot out the rear.
    Turns out my leftover bullets were 44CAL, not 45 cal as the crushribs were made for!!!
    Explained alot.... Loaded my new 45 cal XTP, and pow, on the paper, dialed it in and got decent groups.
    Ran out of light but 90gr of 209 with an XTP is looking good so far.
    Moral? Never assume anything, always check your sh*t before you touch one off.