Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Washington DC. Thinking of moving to VT

Default Hello from Washington DC. Thinking of moving to VT

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a contractor living in DC for now. I hate it, and I want to move on after my contract is up.

Hoping to learn about VT and the area. I hear it is great for hunting AND for tech sector jobs. Anyone have anything to share about it?

Hello,
    Welcome to the forum, I don't know too much about Vermont in either hunting or Tech but I wanted to say welcome to Hunting Chat! I am going to school right now and am pursuing a computer science degree myself! Hope you find what you are looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by StuartHunts View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm a contractor living in DC for now. I hate it, and I want to move on after my contract is up.

Hoping to learn about VT and the area. I hear it is great for hunting AND for tech sector jobs. Anyone have anything to share about it?
    Vermont is great for many things, but I wouldn't call it great for Tech sector at all. Can you be more specific in what type of tech you're interested in?

Thanks for the warm welcome Lion! Computer Science is definitely the way to go these days! Best of luck in your studies :)

Sneaky_Pete
    Interesting you say that . I've read a lot of articles that suggest Vermont is experiencing a tech boom. Check it out here too. I work in IT.

Thanks for the warm welcome Lion! Computer Science is definitely the way to go these days! Best of luck in your studies :)

Sneaky_Pete
    Interesting you say that . I've read a lot of articles that suggest Vermont is experiencing a tech boom. Check it out here too. I work in IT.
    I work in/around IT myself and there are some great companies to work for in your industry here, just not a lot of them. In the long run, we're doing a great job of attracting the alternative energy companies. However, keep in mind, one of the things that makes Vermont great, is that we don't have a lot of big business. It makes for high taxes and only a few high paying IT jobs, but it also means its still a rural state with a lot of open land. However, we have plenty of broadband access now. I work for a NH company, and all my customers are in Ohio, while I sit in my Vermont basement all day.

There will be more jobs, lower taxes, and higher salaries in NH, MA and CT, but those benefits come with a price. Its a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    I work in/around IT myself and there are some great companies to work for in your industry here, just not a lot of them. In the long run, we're doing a great job of attracting the alternative energy companies. However, keep in mind, one of the things that makes Vermont great, is that we don't have a lot of big business. It makes for high taxes and only a few high paying IT jobs, but it also means its still a rural state with a lot of open land. However, we have plenty of broadband access now. I work for a NH company, and all my customers are in Ohio, while I sit in my Vermont basement all day.

There will be more jobs, lower taxes, and higher salaries in NH, MA and CT, but those benefits come with a price. Its a compromise.
    Hm. Would you say that your income is above or below the VT average? Right now I am pulling in around 55k per year which includes overtime. (Somehow I managed to get an hourly job lol)

Do you work for an MSP or something? I should probably look at prices of houses or something in the area to get an idea of how much I should need to make.

Maybe I am not being real with myself though..I have expensive tastes. I want a house with geothermal HVAC and Solar panels. I'm getting a Tesla Model 3. I want a bigass workshop. Hmm.

What is giving you a Vermont focus?

Quote Originally Posted by oneshott View Post
    What is giving you a Vermont focus?
    Well for one it would still be within a reasonable drive to my parents. The growing tech sector. Nature! And good natured people. I think it is beautiful there too.

Here's what I am not sure about though: The cold (maybe? It does concern me a bit.) I have also heard that food is expensive?

Well for one it would still be within a reasonable drive to my parents. The growing tech sector. Nature! And good natured people. I think it is beautiful there too.

Here's what I am not sure about though: The cold (maybe? It does concern me a bit.) I have also heard that food is expensive?
    Where are your parents at? Yes, December through March are quite cold.

If your in the computer science field and you want to be in the northeast. I would suggest being within an hour of Boston or New York city. New York would have the larger more dense deer and probably turkey populations.