Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New in Southern VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Near Jamaica
    First thing I'd recommend, is spend some time talking to VT'ers on here, and in the area. Northern New England is incredibly different from the midwest in how people hunt, common courtesies, property access, etc.

There isn't much farming in that area, so you don't have many ag fields. That means that your quality hunting farm would get some decent traffic from foodplots, but set your expectations pretty low, then lower them. Jamaica has some relatively big deer, but it will be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    First thing I'd recommend, is spend some time talking to VT'ers on here, and in the area. Northern New England is incredibly different from the midwest in how people hunt, common courtesies, property access, etc.

There isn't much farming in that area, so you don't have many ag fields. That means that your quality hunting farm would get some decent traffic from foodplots, but set your expectations pretty low, then lower them. Jamaica has some relatively big deer, but it will be a challenge.
    Thanks for the info. yes I gather it is nothing like the midwest. I figured the deer hunting part will be different, but honestly hadnt thought about the people. In truth i will likely be using the farm as a vacation spot for the family, and will come up to hunt if I tag out at home. My expectations will definitely be way lower. I typically try to target the top 10% of the bucks in my hunting area. if that means a 100" deer, I'm cool with that. If its a 150", even better. I'm really more looking forward to the challenge of hunting new terrain that I am unfamiliar with. I shoot plenty of meat at home, so i will more than likely be buck only hunting, as from what i have heard so far the deer numbers are not high enough to worry about thinning the does out. I'll go home emptyhanded before I shoot an immature buck, but thats just me. As far as access, i don't plan on hunting anywhere else other than my place since its so far of a drive to start with. I doubt I'll make it up to hunt more than once or twice during the season. I'm more looking forward to habitat work, I love doing that almost more than hunting. Right now I've only been up once. Walked the property, and put out 3 cameras. One is a cell cam so it can text me pics. I probably wont start in on any habitat work or plots until next spring. I am considering getting the timber logged though. With all the big woods around I figure opening up my timber and letting browse and forbs go nuts should generate some attention from the deer.

One thing that will probably take some getting used to is the property access laws. IN VT, NH, MA, and ME, we have a different set of laws than elsewhere in the country. In general, if private property is not posted, you can legally hunt there as long as you obey the setbacks. If you don't want people hunting your land, you will have to post it legally. If you post it, the locals will call you a "Flatlander" and hate your guts, lol!!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    One thing that will probably take some getting used to is the property access laws. IN VT, NH, MA, and ME, we have a different set of laws than elsewhere in the country. In general, if private property is not posted, you can legally hunt there as long as you obey the setbacks. If you don't want people hunting your land, you will have to post it legally. If you post it, the locals will call you a "Flatlander" and hate your guts, lol!!
    I saw that in the regs online and was wondering about that. How big of an issue is it? is there tha tmuch hunting pressure? seems like with that much timber around there wouldn't be a need to hunt other people's land. It is not posted currently, but there aren't a lot of houses around. Its right next to the national forest too. So far my cell cam ahsn't had any 2 legged critters walk past

Welcome aboard, from another newbie. I am across the river from you in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    First, Welcome to HC. What part of Iowa are you from?

Second, I read your post, and this is pretty much what I saw...

"Hi, my name is Tom Brady. I am married to Giselle Bundchen, but lately I have been thinking about hooking up with Roseanne BArr. Does anyone have her number?" LOL!
    Good Point.

First thing I'd reccommend is to hunt nearby NH, NY, or MA rather than VT.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshott View Post
    First thing I'd reccommend is to hunt nearby NH, NY, or MA rather than VT.
    LOL...I doubt I will make it up there enough to do that. It won't hurt my feelings if I don't kill a deer. If anything it will be nice to have someplace different to go for a few days once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    LOL...I doubt I will make it up there enough to do that. It won't hurt my feelings if I don't kill a deer. If anything it will be nice to have someplace different to go for a few days once in a while.
    Your chances of seeing moose and/or bear in Iowa are probably slim - but Jamaica has decent populations of both. Even if you aren't hunting them, they're fun to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    Your chances of seeing moose and/or bear in Iowa are probably slim - but Jamaica has decent populations of both. Even if you aren't hunting them, they're fun to see.
    I hadn't thought of that! That would be awesome if I got some trail cam pics of moose or bear.