Thread: Dog Training E-Collers..

Default Dog Training E-Collers..

Thinking about getting a training collar for my 7 month old golden.
    He definitely has a mind of his own.
    Any suggestions?
    He'll be about 70 -80 pounds (or more) for hunting season
    Using for upland birds

Thanks

I have a golden of similar age that I just started using a Garmin Delta Ecollar on. So far no complaints. It's been durable and has proven to be waterproof and my dog has been responding well.

I have this one > http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-d...FVZahgodgjMMjQ

I have read that the slightly newer version, Garmin Delta XC, is better suited for dogs with longer hair due to it having longer contact points, but no personal expierence with that version.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine-lock View Post
    I have a golden of similar age that I just started using a Garmin Delta Ecollar on. So far no complaints. It's been durable and has proven to be waterproof and my dog has been responding well.

I have this one > http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-d...FVZahgodgjMMjQ

I have read that the slightly newer version, Garmin Delta XC, is better suited for dogs with longer hair due to it having longer contact points, but no personal expierence with that version.
    That's the main site I was looking at.
    There are a bunch out there with interchangeable contacts (short & long)
    That's the way I'm going to go since I usually shave him down in the summer

I use Dogtra (can't think of what model) and really like the system. It was specific to waterfowl and sport dogs.

I have a 10 month old german shorthaired pointer and I have been hunting her on pheasant/chukkar since she was about 6 months old. I got her a Dogtra 2500.
    Pros:
    .Battery lasts about 2 days
    .Very user friendly-1 orange button to continuous shock, 1 white button to nick
    .Waterproof
    .I believe it has a 1/2 mile range?
    .You can change the mode so that it beeps when it's on point, running/pointing, or just when you want to locate it
    .The level at which you shock it has a huge range (1-150?)
    .They have great customer service! and an extensive warranty program

Cons:
    .This model doesn't have a vibrate function
    .It's only one dog compatible so if you get another dog in the future, you need a completely new system

I know a couple of the guys here have older tritronics systems and they like them. However, I have heard that since Garmin bought them out, they aren't that great.

I have used Sportdog once before and I liked it, but I wasn't really impressed. If you do like sportdog, you can get a BIG discount (50% off) at promotive.com as long as you qualify for a team If you want to do this, let me know and I can invite you.

Quote Originally Posted by micheleee View Post
    I have a 10 month old german shorthaired pointer and I have been hunting her on pheasant/chukkar since she was about 6 months old. I got her a Dogtra 2500.
    Pros:
    .Battery lasts about 2 days
    .Very user friendly-1 orange button to continuous shock, 1 white button to nick
    .Waterproof
    .I believe it has a 1/2 mile range?
    .You can change the mode so that it beeps when it's on point, running/pointing, or just when you want to locate it
    .The level at which you shock it has a huge range (1-150?)
    .They have great customer service! and an extensive warranty program

Cons:
    .This model doesn't have a vibrate function
    .It's only one dog compatible so if you get another dog in the future, you need a completely new system

I know a couple of the guys here have older tritronics systems and they like them. However, I have heard that since Garmin bought them out, they aren't that great.

I have used Sportdog once before and I liked it, but I wasn't really impressed. If you do like sportdog, you can get a BIG discount (50% off) at promotive.com as long as you qualify for a team If you want to do this, let me know and I can invite you.
    Great Feedback, Thanks

I'm a little hesitant about Garmin.
    To me they are overpriced.
    I've been looking at SD.
    Many models. If I go that route, I'll let you know.
    I'll gather some more info first

Thanks

We run a tritronics g3 collar on our 3 dogs and love it. We went through dog tea, inotec, and sport dog collars and absolutely love the tritronics. We also run a separate gps collar on our dogs.

go to www.lioncountrysupply.com they are awesome. They also have a northwoods long range bell that is amazing

I run a Tritronics Trashbreaker 70 that is probably 10 years old with no issues. For tracking I have a Garmin Astro 220 with DC40 collars.

Quote Originally Posted by totalyirish5 View Post
    We run a tritronics g3 collar on our 3 dogs and love it. We went through dog tea, inotec, and sport dog collars and absolutely love the tritronics. We also run a separate gps collar on our dogs.

go to www.lioncountrysupply.com they are awesome. They also have a northwoods long range bell that is amazing
    what gps collar do you use? do you know if they all require service subscriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
    what gps collar do you use? do you know if they all require service subscriptions?
    We run a garmen astro. It doesn't require a service subscription. It'll give you basic features like streams and water. Not sure if it gives you roads. You can buy the advanced maps if you need them. We use ours more for knowing how far away the dog is if they are in thicker cover on point or if they get out of range of us hearing the bell. We also use it to monitor our dogs daily runs so she doesn't over do it as she gets older.