Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

Default Dog Food

Moose is about to turn a year and we are going to start the transition to adult formula dry food. He's been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy formula and he's been fine, no complatints. HOwever, I've heard some mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo in adult dogs. Something about the protein counts being too high and can lead to kidney damage.

Moose is about 70lbs. He walks 2-5 miles per day.

What are you feeding your dogs?
    That's how you do it...

We currently feed Nutrisource performance and Nutrisource puppy

Blue Buffalo is a lot of hype but also a lot of recalls and problems (based on a lot of friends and clients)

I have decades of dog food and dog nutrition research and I tend to be a dog food snob BUT there is a price point above which I think the return is not matching to the outlay quality wise

Now our Blood tracking dog has food allergies so she is on a fairly pricey food, but I aim for something $40-$59 a bag with particular ingredients and companies that I avoid. Blue Buffalo is one of those

We either get our Nutrisource at Runnings or I order it online when I order the allergy dog's food from chewy.com free delivery over $49 and a big selection
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com

We have fed our chocolate lab Infinia Turkey and Sweet Potato since the day we got him. It's pricey, but he has stayed thin, trim, and muscular, not fat like most adult labs. We get it at Bay State Pet and Garden Supply, and every 8 bags we get a free one.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I have had my chessie since he was a pup and I've always used Purina Pro Plan with never any issues. I visited quite a few sporting dog forums before making that decision and all said it good quality food for the price. Kenai put on a few pounds last year so had him on the weight management recently with some great results as well. Just remember it's the Pro Plan and not the lower grade Purina.

I've fed Blue Buffalo to my lab for about 3 years now. He's had no problems with it.

Thanks for all the replies!
    That's how you do it...

I've always used eukanuba. Have never had any issues. I have heard that if you don't have any issues it's not a bad idea to stick with the food you are using. Best if luck with your pup
    i just love being in the woods!!!!

Blue Seal Natural 26 my Lab lived to b 15 and I also feed it to my beagle she is 8 , not a single issue .... 25 pound bag is $21.00 at my local Agway store
    2 B 1 Ask 1

Fed my Springer the puppy food that the breeder recommended for the 1st year ProPac puppy formula. Then I switched to the adult but it was hard to find locally. I did the internet research and found that the Blue Buffalo was supposed to be up there among the top brands so I switched as it is available anywhere. She gets a complete physical each January and has not had any issues...Nice firm turds a plenty!

I almost never buy food locally anymore. Either could not find what I wanted or suddenly a store would no longer sell it. I buy online and get it delivered to my door almost all the time.

If you feed something like Blueseal or Dog chow etc availability is never an issue
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com