Thread: Duck Mount Habitat

Default Duck Mount Habitat

My wife would say, "I have to much dead sh%t in the basement". She doesn't really care just figures that is what she is supposed to say as I do have a bit of a problem with building displays and having mounts put together. Well looks like some more dead sh%t is on it's way. I built this habitat for a couple of drake woodies I will be mounting in the next couple of weeks. I am pretty happy with how it came out. The pictures don't really show the detail. A couple years back I had a drake woodie come from behind and land on a log. It was one of those times you are in the woods or field that you take a second to just appreciate being out there. I told myself if I ever have any ducks mounted I would try and recreate that situation. The box is roughly 16x36 with the cattails about 20 inches. The water is piece of plexi with artificial water poured over it. The lily pads and duck weed are set in the water. The cattails continue down through the plexi into the box below. I mixed moss and dirt with envirotex to give the look of everything being wet under the water. Added a few rocks and sticks and built it up under the log to give the effect that the log was stuck in the mud rather than just floating. Still need to add some moss on the log and build the plexi box that will fit down over it all so I don't have to try and dust it all the time. One duck will be standing and the other sitting on the log. I may swap out one of the drakes for a hen next season. Enjoyed putting it together. Bass habitat is next.

Looks great, very creative!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Nice work! I look forward to seeing the ducks added, thanks for the look

Looks great! Nice work.

very well done!

That came out awesome!!! If that Fenway ticket sign is in your way, I could PM you my address and hang it here in my office for you. LOL!!

Thanks guys. Learning curve for sure. I spent alot of time on taxidermy.net and you tube. Still lots of things I would do differently next time but am happy with it. As far as the Fenway sign. I actually made that several years ago. In the process of taking down a fair amount of baseball memorabilia in my basement to make a room for my daughter. Couldn't find it in me to put the sign in storage.

that is really nice. is that glass?

Quote Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
    that is really nice. is that glass?
    The wood is mounted on a piece of plexi glass. The cattails go down through the plexi and are set in the "mud". The artificial water is a resin mixed with a catalyst that "activates" it. Once activated I poured it over the plexi and set the lily pads in the poured water mix and then sprinkled the duck weed on the water mix before it set.

Here is another habitat base I built for a Turkey I am having mounted. It was a nice 21 lber from New Hampshire last season, minimal damage from the shot and flopping. The bird was in a freshly turned over field in full strut with a lone hen. I still have some work to do with detail in the dirt once the bird is on there. The feathers will not be there once I get the bird in place. I will spray the dirt you see (real dirt mixed with clear elmers glue and water) with an adhesive and shake more dirt on top to give the appearance of the field. I bought a set of "green" turkey feet to make the tracks in the dirt. Hopefully I get the mount to line up with the tracks. The wood is cedar from some park benches I replaced at work this past summer. I knew I could find another use for them.