Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JDK's 2015

10/1/15

Opening day. I got up this morning at 0 dark thirty. The wind was blowing and there was a skunk under my bedroom window. I crawled back into bed. This afternoon.

10/1/15

First sit ever with a bow. Clear, cool with a strong NE wind. Arrived at 5:30 and at 5:35 5 does walked by out of range. Foliage is still green and thick. Work gets in the way of fun for sure as there is no way I can leave earlier. Also not sure how much I like these hang on stands. Josh's climber is the way to go.

Tons of geese.
    Last edited by JDK; 10-02-2015 at 05:25 AM.

10/2/15

Strong NE winds and overcast. Ended up sititng on a run as the winds are wrong for my stands. Tried to find a spot to remain hidden yet still be able to see and draw should a deer happen by. At 6:00, 2 does wandered by and as they passed busted me. I knew that I was in trouble. At 6:15 5 more does went by and fed out to a field. They were about 30 yards away and I'm not sure I could have drawn if I wanted to.

Piles and piles of geese.

10/3/15

My wife and I went bird hunting for the morning around Eagle Lake. Tons of people riding the roads but once off the roads we saw no one. Sadly we also saw very few birds. The foliage is extremely thick and still green. I was able to kill one bird by sheer luck. No moose, no deer, and very quiet in the woods.

10/3/15 PM

Decided to sit behind the house in the swamp. Decent run with a good amount of sign but I have not seen a deer here during the daylight. Wind was dying but blowing out of the NE and switching to the NW. Sat until dark and nothing.

10/4-10/7/15

Our 29 year of bird hunting. Arrived at the campsite early Sunday morning and set up. Felt good to be in the North Maine Woods again and be on the banks of the Allagash River. After setting up camp, we took off on a scouting trip to a spot we hunt deer. Mark wanted to put a camera on a trail and as we walked in we saw a big doe. Not 2 minutes later we flushed a couple of birds. This is looking good. After setting the camper, we made a quick swing through some spots and realized how hard the area was cut. This was not so good. Doesn't matter as we always have a good time.

We hunted Monday through Wednesday and it was tough, as tough as we have ever seen it. The foliage was extremely thick and still relatively green All day Monday. the 2 of us picked up 6 birds. Not sure how far we walked but it was a long way. Tuesday we decided to hit another area that was a decent drive. We noticed as we got close that there were newer and newer roads and fewer and fewer trees. When we arrived to where we wanted to go, we didn't recognize the area at all. It was a moonscape. We scrambled all day long and it was a skunk. Not s single bird seen all day long, a first for us. This morning we hit a few spots close to the campsite and picked up 5 quick birds before calling it a trip. The lowest number of birds we have seen and killed in many many years. Still a great time and good company.

In total, we saw maybe 30 birds, 5 moose, and 2 deer. The foliage was changing but still extremely thick and green in many places. It is a late Fall.

Last edited by JDK; 10-07-2015 at 07:19 PM.

10/7/15 PM

Sat in one of my stands tonight. Thought it would be a perfect evening with winds out of the SW and cool. Light showers but mainly partly cloudy. Sat until dark and saw nothing but a fox that walked under the stand. Overall a frustrating couple of days.

10/9/15

Late getting out of work so I hustled to my stand behind the house. Sat until dark and nothing. Time to pull this stand and move it to another location.

10/10/15- AM

Took a friend and his son bird hunting in the morning towards Portage Lake. In reality IO wanted to look at some spots that I used to hunt 15-20 years ago. They certainly have grown up over the years and most of the time I didn't recognize any landmarks. However in one spot that I looked at, the deer were still using the same trails and the sign was actually pretty impressive.

We walked a lot of trails and hunted until noon. Austin killed a bird and we saw 4 others. Lots of people out scouting for moose and the foliage is still very thick although, the leaves do appear to be about peak color. We ended up seeing 5 birds and 2 deer.

10/10/15-PM

North winds and cool. Sat in a tree until dark. at 3:00 the parade of does started and I saw 8 between 3 and 4. Around 4ish, a very nice buck walked down the trail and stopped at 50 yards. He turned and took a different trail out towards the fields. All in all a great night.
    Last edited by JDK; 10-13-2015 at 07:20 AM.

10/12/15-AM

Overcast, warm, humid, and still. I decided to hunt near the near the camp I stay at in November. Really was more of a scouting mission, check on a stand, see what was around. Sat from first light until 9:30. Not a lot of sign near the ladder stand but the deer are using the trail. Tons and tons and tons of squirrels this year and it sounded like a convention all morning long. Hung a camera on the trail just to see what is going on. Also checked out a spot I plan to hunt the last week of October. Far more sign in there and I will move a stand there. I also hung a camera.

10/12/15- PM

Clear, warm, strong south wind. Not a good wind for my stands so I hunted an abandoned orchard. Some sign but nothing to get excited about. Stayed until dark and saw nothing. Based on the earth shattering KABOOMS just before dark, someone either killed or shot at a moose nearby. Also talked to the farmer on the way home. He plans to start tilling all of the clover fields tomorrow morning.

10/17/15

Overcast, light winds, and 2-4 inches of snow. Because of the predicted heavy rain I bagged archery today and we headed to Oxbow to scout a few places and hopefully pick up a few birds. Snowed most of the day but the bird hunting was decent. Looked for and found some deer sign. We also watched an otter slide down the road in front of us. He would take 3-5 steps then slide in the snow on his belly. Very entertaining. A few very desperate moose hunters floating around but overall not very many people out and about. In total, we saw a marten, otter, dozen turkey, and a dozen birds.
    Last edited by JDK; 10-17-2015 at 05:50 PM.

10/19/15 - PM

Strong SW winds with a front coming in. Perfect winds for one of my stands so I climbed in about 4:00. At 4:30 the winds died, shifted and blew hard out of the SE to E. Terrible. Climbed down not really sure what to do so I went back to a spot that would be better in the wind. At 5:15 2 does walked down the farthest trail (about 43-45 yards). At 5:20 a decent buck followed. Overall 15 yards past my comfort zone. I was able to draw on him without being detected so I consider it somewhat of a moral victory. Time to adjust stands yet again.

While I am not a field hunter, I completely underestimated the impact of early goose seasons, moose hunters, and farmers pre-harvest and harvest activities on deer movement. They shifted both timing and locations based on activities in the food sources. Nice to know that I found them again.