Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Trapping Year

Default 2014 Trapping Year

What a difference from 2013. At this time last year I kicked off my most ambitious trapping year. I had plans to do the same in 2014 despite fur prices being extremely low.

As mainly a water trapper, this years lack of ice has put a damper on my beaver take. Only five beaver pelts processed from two nuisance situations. I prefer walking and setting traps on a frozen level surface versus paddling a canoe and setting off the side. Winter fur is fully prime, fetching higher auction prices.

Two thousand fourteen fisher trapping is going much better than 2013. So far I have 3 fisher pelts hanging in the basement. I doubt I will have two more visit my sets before the 2014 fisher trapping season ends.

Come January, I will be wishing on the stars for colder weather.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

congrats on what ya got so far outdoorsman,good trappin to ya

Very nice catch how's about few pics ,you know we like that lol
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

I always have a couple fishers, fox and raccoon that pass through the back yard weekly as I chuck food scraps out the window and over the bank into my swamp. A few beavers in the pond also. No one has trapped around here for 7 years since my 92 year old uncle, who trapped for 80 years, died. Good luck with the rest of the seasons.

These are the only two trapping related pictures I have so far this season.

PICT0003 (1).jpg

Pict 1.jpg

Very nice ,been always itching to take the class in ma. Of course we have got to use the have hart traps heheh love ma.
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

nice fisher there ,im trying for coyotes and found two sets ,one 20 feet from mine and another bout 15yds from my other set can't believe how we mus be thinkin the same way or they heard me poundin stakes in,lots of competition around here.

Thanks for pics

New Hampshire's trapping competition is reasonable. State law requires written land owner permission to set traps and nearly every person using traps knows who is trapping in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    New Hampshire's trapping competition is reasonable. State law requires written land owner permission to set traps and nearly every person using traps knows who is trapping in the area.
    same here with regs,and everybody knowing who is in area,lol, im on my ground and there on their ground with permission ,jus tryin to see who gets what first and one goal ,to get rid of any predators.

Did you get that fisher od?

I did get that fisher. He is the largest male I have caught to date, weighed 14 pounds. I doubt I ever see one his size again. I thought about having it mounted but I had to prioritize my money elsewhere. Sending the pelt to NAFA come January 18th or so.

Neat thing about that fisher is I recorded a trail camera picture and video of him running nearby in September. Unfortunately I did not save the recordings. The camera was placed very low to the ground and he cam running up next to it. Made for quite the action shot. I set the cubby and a leaning pole set (above the cubby) in December with hopes he may come through but not expecting him to. I was very surprised the day I found him in the trap.