Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st NH Tom

Default 1st NH Tom

I shot my first NH Tom yesterday at 6:30am. I had roosted three Toms Saturday evening with my 7 year old nephew Derek. He had a blast and really wanted to go out with me on Sunday morning, but he really isn't ready for a "live hunt". Next year hopefully.

18 lbs
    15/16" Spurs
    10" Beard

Mo
    Last edited by MoBigsley; 05-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Taking it slow (on the killing part) is critical. I applaud you on your patience. My kids (now 14, 11, 7) love going tracking, spotting deer, and bird hunting with me or with dogs without a gun. This year I brought my 11 year old on a real bird hunt. My pup brought back a pheasant that was still kicking. I turned away from him to finish the process and my son turned away as well, but he turned back with a tear in his eye. He was impressed when he saw feathers fly, the dog retrieve, but having to "finish" - our responsibility- was tough for him to stomach. I would imagine "knockin' a noggin" at close range would be tough on a little guy.

Congrats to you!
    AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL

Sweet bird Mo,congrats
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

congrats NIce 1st Bird

Real Nice bird Moe! Way to stay at it late in the game!

Congrats, nice work!

Nice Mo. Never too young for a Turkey hunt but good you brought him Roosting.

Nice bird, congrats. I struggle with the age thing myself. It's a tough call as to when they are old enough and probably different kid by kid. Just getting them involved is critical in my mind.

Nice bird!! Congrats!!! I started my daughter when she was able to shoot and not be scared of the gun. I use shooting sticks and she sits between my legs, so I can whisper and take the safety off for her. This year, she got her second bird!!! You NEED to take him out, even if it's just to watch. I can't go driving around looking for game without my daughter begging to go. I love it and it's memories for life!!!! Congrats again, sorry to get carried away!!
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.