Thread: Eastern Shore hunting

Default Eastern Shore hunting

Just got back from vacation in Florida. On the way back I spent a week scouting out the Delmarva peninsula. Looks like a fantastic area. Lots of giant fields with Soybeans, corn and vegetables. Woods are mixed hardwoods with lots of "edge" cover. Big farms from Cape Charles all the way to northern Delaware. Lots of area(more than I envisioned). Looks like deer heaven!
    Does anybody know a good place to go. My cousin owns a farm in Delaware but its too built up for my taste. Thanks!

Eastern Shore of Maryland produces some huge bucks.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Lot of leases down there, lots of private property too. Deer hunting is big bussiness and costs alot in that neck of the woods. My cousins in on one with 15 or so other guys for $1,200 a pop. They kill a ton of deer.

I did a 2 day hunt in Maryland once' cost $200 a day. A kid walked us out to a stand and said sit here till you shoot one or the sun goes down. I watched hundreds in the fields all day 500-1000 yards out. Never got one, i will never do a hunt like that again. Not my style.

I can get you some info on guides if your interested in that. Shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Lot of leases down there, lots of private property too. Deer hunting is big bussiness and costs alot in that neck of the woods. My cousins in on one with 15 or so other guys for $1,200 a pop. They kill a ton of deer.

I did a 2 day hunt in Maryland once' cost $200 a day. A kid walked us out to a stand and said sit here till you shoot one or the sun goes down. I watched hundreds in the fields all day 500-1000 yards out. Never got one, i will never do a hunt like that again. Not my style.

I can get you some info on guides if your interested in that. Shoot me a pm.
    Unfortunately that is the way it is. You don't have the option of say still hunting or moving to where you see the deer come out of the thick stuff and sit on the ground. To the best of my knowledge, you can't use centerfire rifles on the Eastern Shore. It is archery, muzzleloading, handgun and shotgun.

I've deer hunted there quite a few times, my brother lives there (Maryland) and has access to several private farms. There is also a lot of public land on the Eastern shore and we've hunted that with some success too. You can use centerfire rifles in Dorchester county, the rest of the Eastern shore is shotgun/muzzle loader. I'm not sure about Western Maryland.