Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear jewelry!

Default bear jewelry!

So I had been talking about snaring a bear with Don for some time and took him up on his offer to meet up and give it a try.
    We met up early Thursday morning and got set up on one bait each, after looking over tons of pics and videos. I had a good site, down in a low area with well beaten trails and we had video to watch the habits of this bear as he came in to eat.
    Next we headed up to a beautiful site to set Don's snare. A perfect day, nice and cool, leaves turning, seeing moose, etc.
    IMG_0308.jpg IMG_0301.jpg
    Have to say it was a sleepless night, much like being a kid again on Christmas eve.
    The next morning we met up again to go check. Nothing at mine, completely untouched. On the way to meet up I almost ate it; yards from truck meets big bull moose!
    Anyway we head up to Don's bait, park, get out, etc. keep in mind I did not load the dispatch weapon for the walk in, mistake. As we get maybe 30 yds from the bait going up an old cut, don stops, starts pointing and says shoot him! a very large coyotes is sneaking around. this thing seemed almost white. After fumbling to get a bullet in the chamber, he's gone. So we turn slight left and head up the last few yards to the bait. I'm in front with the gun in case we see the yote again. up over the last rise and... something doesn't look right. huge pile of debris in what was a nice smooth forest floor and laying right on top lounging is a friggin' bear!!!
    IMG_0319.jpg

I say "Don ya got him!" and we head in. After taking in the situation, Don tries to get him in the catch pole, very little fight from the bear. after seeing how twisted he was in the cable and realizing we couldn't cut that cord to let him go even in we wanted, he was dispatched.
    estimated at 200-225lbs, with a fantastic coat on him. What a thrill, Don's first and I was more than excited to be part of it.
    IMG_0326.jpg
    So load up, get him tagged, cleaned, etc. and another sleepless night.
    This morning go to check my set as I had to head back today. go down into the low spot and somethings not right. snare was thrown with nothing but a single white hair on the cable. mechanism seemed to work perfectly, but no animal. we knew it was not a bear that had set the trap off, pulled the camera card and went to see back at the truck. Friggin coon had set off the trap, and the kicker... exactly 2 mins later my bear comes strolling in. seriously!!! could it get any harder to swallow. well we had a good laugh, went and preset at another location for a second upcoming trip.

Continued next post...

IMG_0302.jpg
    Wildlife Damage Control Services
    licensed and insured nuisance wildlife control operator
    York, Maine

Default ...continued

All in all, just a fantastic trip. weather was great, we got at least one bear, had some great discussion and saw some great country. Seriously this man, Don, knows his stuff with these black ghosts of the woods and just the woods in general. And more so, is just a great guy and an awesome host! Thanks again, and we'll be back soon.

IMG_0317.jpg

And to top it off, I saw santa riding his atv on the way home!
    Don, thanks again and the boys were completely psyched with what I brought home!

IMG_0331.jpg
    York, Maine

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Big Congrats!!!

Vermont?
    Last edited by bigrak; 09-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrak View Post
    Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. Big Congrats!!!

Vermont?
    nope, Maine. last state in the lower 48 where you can still trap a bear. alaska just started back up a few years ago.
    York, Maine

Nice stuff there. I've been on a few bear trapping adventures in the 90's with a buddy from the Jackman area. Great fun and the anticipation walking in to your set is amazing. Nice job.

congrats , great pics and read
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

Cool stuff Adam!

Awesome!
    It's not just an Obsession, Its an ADDICTION. One I am proud to have. No intervention needed.

Thanks Adam for sharing the story! I have been pulling stands since you left so the pics are coming soon. I had a blast and the next site is hot with 3 bears and waiting for a savy trapper to return!

Default bears

Adam you won't believe who showed up on your next spot last night! He is a big one with a radio collar on him. I can't figure out how to post his pic yet but will keep trying!