Thread: Rusty bore...

Default Rusty bore...

What is the preferred method of scraping rust deposits out of a rifled barrel?

I have swabbed it and brushed it a thousand times and the deposits are resisting nicely...even used a product called Evap-O-Rust which worked great on the surface rust but has not broken down the deposits inside the bore...

Not trying to be a smart ass but are you sure what you're looking at is rust and not the pitting left in the barrel after the rust was removed???

Shoot a box of shells through it...

Quote Originally Posted by VtPalmaShooter View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass but are you sure what you're looking at is rust and not the pitting left in the barrel after the rust was removed???
    Nope...not sure if it is rust or otherwise, but when swabbing with rust remover the patch comes out rust color...the deposits are actually, raised away from the metal...not pretty!

I'm trying a different approach with rust remover..soaking 24 hours completely immersed in the stuff...we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkeater View Post
    Shoot a box of shells through it...
    I will eventually shoot the rifle...just wanted to clean out as much as I can beforehand...

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Nope...not sure if it is rust or otherwise, but when swabbing with rust remover the patch comes out rust color...the deposits are actually, raised away from the metal...not pretty!

I'm trying a different approach with rust remover..soaking 24 hours completely immersed in the stuff...we'll see what happens.
    I think that's a good approach and would continue with it if it seems to be working. Soak, clean, soak, clean, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    I will eventually shoot the rifle...just wanted to clean out as much as I can beforehand...
    I'm no expert but I think shooting it might help get some of that rust out. As long as it's not obstructed in any way.

I had an old gunsmith tell that more barrels are ruined by too much cleaning than not enough. Especially around the crown.

Ordered some 7.65 x 53 ammo yesterday...the second soaking/cleaning was pretty encouraging...the bore gave up a lot of residue! Now to take her out to the range when the ammo arrives and see how she performs...

First you need to unload your rifle completely. Than look down the bore to check for corrosion and rust pits. You need to coat the metal brush tip of a bore plunger with a few drops of CLP, then plunge the barrel, from receiver end to muzzle, in and out until it remove the rust.