Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cool sniper story

British and US sniping is high level stuff. Those guys are awesome. The weaponry they have at their disposal are unbelievable. Makes a guy like Carlos Hathcock even more amazing though. I'm sure there are a bunch of stories like this, just a lot of which are classified. God Bless those guys!

1430 meters= .89 miles. That is no 7.62x51(.308). The .300WM will reach out to 1500 yards so 1564 yards (1430 meters) is doable on a perfect day w/ a 190gr at 2900fps. The .338 Lapua, now that is the ticket. Not a 7.62 but it is used in the L96 platform. Once a bullet goes subsonic it looses accuracy real fast. A supressor reduces muzzle velosity by as much as 30%. Carlos Hathcock was using a hunting rifle w/ a modified Redfield scope, that is what makes him truely amazing. .30-06 was the 1000 yard standard for years. The man had balls of steel and could read everything natural around him perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystaddle View Post
    British and US sniping is high level stuff. Those guys are awesome. The weaponry they have at their disposal are unbelievable. Makes a guy like Carlos Hathcock even more amazing though. I'm sure there are a bunch of stories like this, just a lot of which are classified. God Bless those guys!
    The Canadians are not far behind, I believe a Canadian sniper has the record for longest kill...

Quote Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
    1430 meters= .89 miles. That is no 7.62x51(.308). The .300WM will reach out to 1500 yards so 1564 yards (1430 meters) is doable on a perfect day w/ a 190gr at 2900fps. The .338 Lapua, now that is the ticket. Not a 7.62 but it is used in the L96 platform. Once a bullet goes subsonic it looses accuracy real fast. A supressor reduces muzzle velosity by as much as 30%. Carlos Hathcock was using a hunting rifle w/ a modified Redfield scope, that is what makes him truely amazing. .30-06 was the 1000 yard standard for years. The man had balls of steel and could read everything natural around him perfectly.
    Hathcock was a Winchester Model 70 man...His longest kill was with a "Ma Deuce" .50 cal...
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    The Canadians are not far behind, I believe a Canadian sniper has the record for longest kill...

Hathcock was a Winchester Model 70 man...His longest kill was with a "Ma Deuce" .50 cal...
    You are correct, but it was a modified Ma Deuce machine gun, not a rifle. The pre 1964 M70 was a civilian hunting rifle w/ a bull bore and standard stock, slightly modified. I has truely impressed w/ the sniper in Fallujah that took an insurgent at 1200 yards w/ a .308(7.62x51) M40. That is a custom rig. He even was shocked he hit. The Canadian that hit at 1.5 miles, that has been past by the .408 and .416.

I saw a program on snipers on the military channel. One of the guys was picking off insurgents from 800 yards as they dashed across a road. He had something like 4 seconds to aim and fire and he was drilling them.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Read a lot of books on snipers from Iraq Afghanistan and Vietnam. Extremely impressive what those guys do no matter what they have in their hands