PDA

View Full Version : A little late

smokeyfisherman
04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, I joined here a few weeks ago and have posted in a couple of other threads but never got around to introducing myself. Better late than never, right?

I live on the north shore in MA, and I'm 23 years old. I have never killed a deer, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that i never tried :D

Around the end of last summer for some reason i got this overwhelming urge to give hunting a shot. It just seems like something that i could really get into. I used to shoot squirrels and chipmunks with pellet guns when i was younger, and I really enjoy fishing (as my name suggests) so learning to hunt just seems logical.

I am signed up for the basic hunter education course and I have purchased a Hoyt Katera :bowsmiley:

hopefully everything goes as planned and i will be posting a report about my first deer come october! :cool:

bigrak
04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome aboard!!!!!! Good luck with your first deer.I remember mine 30yrs. ago like it was yesterday. :smile:

catskill adventures1
04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
:bowsmiley: I'm 57 years old and I can remember my 1st deer with a recurve bow and then a rifle when I was 16. I think we're all happy to see someone taking up the sport. Many people are leaving the sport because the so called "environmentalists" and "conservationists" say hunting is not politically correct. I hope your 1st deer is a big one and I hope you'll show it off to us and to the 'tree huggers" Good luck and welcome!:elmer:

Bill/NH
04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Welcome aboard smokey, glad to have you here!!!!:smile:

VTwoodchuck
04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Welcome aboard Smokey.
Check out the meat poles if you really want to get pumped up!

MBullism
04-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Welcome, SF! x2 on the glad you decided to give hunting a go... jumpin right in the deep end, deer with a bow...awesome :D

DLuke
04-17-2011, 06:52 PM
That's awesome smokey!! Stick around, we'd love to help out in any way we can to get you into the deer this year!!

smokeyfisherman
04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome aboard!!!!!! Good luck with your first deer.I remember mine 30yrs. ago like it was yesterday. :smile:

I'm 57 years old and I can remember my 1st deer with a recurve bow and then a rifle when I was 16. I think we're all happy to see someone taking up the sport. Many people are leaving the sport because the so called "environmentalists" and "conservationists" say hunting is not politically correct. I hope your 1st deer is a big one and I hope you'll show it off to us and to the 'tree huggers" Good luck and welcome!

i can't wait to have my own first deer story, hopefully it does not involve me screwing up the shot on the first one and missing completely. it will be the first of many. those pansy anti's aren't going to keep me from hunting :cool:
as far as my first deer being a big one i can only hope so, but to be honest i might not be very picky when the time comes. i gotta pop my cherry and as nice as it would be to do it on a big buck im not so sure i would hesitate to drop a small doe as long as i have a permit for it.

Welcome aboard smokey, glad to have you here!!!!

Welcome aboard Smokey.
Check out the meat poles if you really want to get pumped up!

thanks for the welcome guys, and as far as the meat poles go i have looked at them for many hours on end already. i have also made it to about page 60 or so on the deer hunting section :D

Welcome, SF! x2 on the glad you decided to give hunting a go... jumpin right in the deep end, deer with a bow...awesome

longer season, and a slight chance that if i can find and pattern a big deer pre-season he may still be in that pattern when archery opens up. plus let's just say i don't have a choice for at least the next 5 years :rolleyes:

That's awesome smokey!! Stick around, we'd love to help out in any way we can to get you into the deer this year!!

im gonna need it. i think every time i have actually seen deer around home has either been by accident or by dumb luck. some places i fish i have seen tracks but i have been going out in the woods a lot lately trying to find a good spot to set up a camera with a mineral block and every time i go out saying i am gonna put up the camera i end up still coming home with it in my backpack because i cant find the "right spot".

i have a couple of books on deer hunting (advanced deer hunters bible and precision bow hunting) but i think experience is gonna far outweigh anything i can read in a book.

bigrak
04-17-2011, 08:06 PM
WOW ! That's what I call an Expert post replier! ;)

smokeyfisherman
04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
ya i didn't want to leave anyone out when i replied, each one of you that posted took the time to welcome me the least i could do was take the time to respond :D

Bill/NH
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
WOW ! That's what I call an Expert post replier! ;)

Exactly, holy smokeyfisherman!!!!:eek::D

NH Hunter
04-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Welcome Smoke, I too am glad to see guys your age getting into hunting. Join a F&G club in your area and meet some guys. I'm sure you can find a couple that might take you under their wing and help you out with any questions you have. Good luck this fall!!!

Escout711
04-17-2011, 10:14 PM
plus let's just say i don't have a choice for at least the next 5 years :rolleyes:

Uh oh... Welcome aboard!

smokeyfisherman
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Smoke, I too am glad to see guys your age getting into hunting. Join a F&G club in your area and meet some guys. I'm sure you can find a couple that might take you under their wing and help you out with any questions you have. Good luck this fall!!!

the sportsmans club here requires you to become a member of the NRA and GOAL, as well as pay club dues and an initiation fee. all things that i do not have money for right now seeing as the total would be around $300 (which makes even less sense considering i am not even allowed to own a gun right now anyway):confused:

thats why i will be consulting the board pretty often with all of my questions, and maybe a board member that lives near me could take me under their wing :redface:

bigrak
04-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Try turning on your PM feature in the CP. So you can send and receive pms'.

arlow
04-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Welcome Smokey, lots of good advice over here!!!

smokeyfisherman
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Try turning on your PM feature in the CP. So you can send and receive pms'.

Done! Didn't realize I had to turn that on for it to work.

smokeyfisherman
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome Smokey, lots of good advice over here!!!

Thanks, I should be kept busy for a pretty long time just trying to read through all the posts in the deer hunting section. I should have lots of questions though as october gets closer.