Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heading West

Good luck with your prep. Iím kinda doing the same thing but for 2020. If you want to bounce ideas please pm me. I would also recommend one of you joining the elk 101 Elk University. We have learned a ton on there so far. Iíve also spent wayyyyyy to much money prepping but gear is fun.
    Last edited by Fixed blade; 06-15-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Awesome- it is a blast out there.

For the elevation, getting in good cardio shape is key, staying hydrated vital, taking your time essential- 2-3 days of being patient will pay off.
    Hike with your pack and some weight for conditioning, I recommend trekking poles for pack outs.
    I've used this with success- https://wildernessathlete.com/produc...tude-advantage
    Dad got a prescription from his doc, diamox.
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

Things you'll probably need that are different from new england hunts- frame pack, Game bags, Water bladder and filter, camp, baby wipes, binos, sleeping bag/pad, stove and fuel, freeze dried food.
    There are a ton of gear lists out there. Get good clothes and a layering system and you won't need to pack much on that end.

I used an exo 3500 pack, an msr trailshot filter, leki trekking poles. Platypus water bladder, Mountain house meals, first lite wool underwear and shirts, standard hiking pants in green (nylon), rain gear as an outer layer. Vortex seems to make good binos at a reasonable price.
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

Your Dad is going to be out there 10 days before you? He should have an elk down before you get out there!

Find some dirt roads that you can either drive thru the mountains on, or walk in on, if closed. With 10 days to scout you should be able to car camp and just hike in 1 or 2 miles, sometimes less, to your hunting spots. My first bull, I shot in the back of a clearcut 400 yards from the road. The second was about 2 miles in.

If you really want to hike in and camp, well that is going to make thing logistically much more demanding.

I camped right behind the car, with coolers filled with food, eggs, chop meat, bottled water, oatmeal, milk, etc, etc,. Then I either walked right out from camp and hunted or drove down the road and hiked in from there. During bow season elk are not spooked yet and they are all over. (This was in Colorado, don't see why it shouldn't be basically the same there). Don't hunt the huge mountains. Just like you don't hunt up the side of Mt. Katadyn, look for some easier to handle ridges with some access points for you. Don't overlook elk being down low in the sage brush areas, they often go down there at night and then back up in the morning.

Probably be freezing in the morning and 80 in the day time. I wore hiking type sneakers, very light cotton pants, and a thin cotton long sleeve shirt.

Just some thoughts from my 8 or so trips out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 06-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Some great info here guys I appreciate it! I started accumulating gear a year or two ago, and did a few over night hikes last year and hoping to do a few more this year before we go. Picked up a kelty 2 man backpacking tent, two frame packs (one for training, one for hunting), lightweight 20 degree sleeping bag, sleeping pad, jetboil stove, platapus water filtering system, and bladder. One thing I realized the importance of while hiking last year was an adequate pillow. I tried just balling up the few clothes I had and used that. That didn't work at all. So I ordered a sea to summit inflatable pillow which should be delivered today. I have a few dehydrated meals left over from last year, but will be ordering another couple dozen in the next few weeks. I have the black orvis XL game bags in my amazon cart right now so that'll happen at some point here soon. I'm also working on a homemade light weight backwoods first aide kit. Clothing wise the last 1.5 years I have put together a halfway decent first lite clothing collection (couple shirts, pants, hat, etc.) I'll be using that as my main hunting attire. Rain gear I have a Big Bill jacket/pant set-up but its not really lightweight or breathable. Not sure what to do with this. Lug it in and probably not use it, not bring it and get soaked every day, or spend the money on something good.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Your Dad is going to be out there 10 days before you? He should have an elk down before you get out there!
    I hope so! I told him to have one tied up for me too! I don't even care if its a raghorn!

Optics wise I picked up a pair of 10x42 nikon monarchs last year, and my wife got me the vortex bino harness that sits on your chest https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics...s%2C172&sr=8-4

The harness looks kinda bulky but I've been shooting with it for about a year now and absolutely love it!

My dad just picked up some vortex 12x50's. Said he just opened them up the other day and absolutely love them.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    Some great info here guys I appreciate it! I started accumulating gear a year or two ago, and did a few over night hikes last year and hoping to do a few more this year before we go. Picked up a kelty 2 man backpacking tent, two frame packs (one for training, one for hunting), lightweight 20 degree sleeping bag, sleeping pad, jetboil stove, platapus water filtering system, and bladder. One thing I realized the importance of while hiking last year was an adequate pillow. I tried just balling up the few clothes I had and used that. That didn't work at all. So I ordered a sea to summit inflatable pillow which should be delivered today. I have a few dehydrated meals left over from last year, but will be ordering another couple dozen in the next few weeks. I have the black orvis XL game bags in my amazon cart right now so that'll happen at some point here soon. I'm also working on a homemade light weight backwoods first aide kit. Clothing wise the last 1.5 years I have put together a halfway decent first lite clothing collection (couple shirts, pants, hat, etc.) I'll be using that as my main hunting attire. Rain gear I have a Big Bill jacket/pant set-up but its not really lightweight or breathable. Not sure what to do with this. Lug it in and probably not use it, not bring it and get soaked every day, or spend the money on something good.
    Any light weight hiking rain gear would work. Doesn’t need to be Camo. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed blade View Post
    Any light weight hiking rain gear would work. Doesn’t need to be Camo. Just my opinion.
    Yeah your probably right, I might look for something cheap. It'll probably never leave the pack, and it wont need to last longer then the trip, but probably good to have something.

So Elk University is good? I've been kicking the tires on it. How does it work, pay for it and it make a bunch of information available? Or is it like seminars? or what?

Pm sent