Thread: Need to vent

Default Need to vent

The Fish River Chain of Lakes is without a doubt the best landlocked salmon and brook trout fishery in the state. Bar none. Yesterday I received a call from a friend. Two confirmed white perch catches from Long Lake and 1 from Cross Lake. Some asshole dumped them in there. I hope they catch the idiot(s) that did and and nail them to a tree.

I always figured we be battling smallmouth and muskie illegal introductions but not white perch.
    I've already told you more than I know.

That really sucks! People have no concept of the ecological damage that they cause by these "bucket biologist" introductions. Completely shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    That really sucks! People have no concept of the ecological damage that they cause by these "bucket biologist" introductions. Completely shameful.
    Exactly.

Half the idiots up here want to be just like the rest of the state and by god are striving to become that way. We are under constant barrage from TU, Audubon, and others to end all fishing with live bait. I will never, ever, be convinced that these introductions are anything but deliberate and not accidental "bait bucket" introductions. All it does is give more fuel to their fire.

birds do stock lakes. Maybe it was not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejd View Post
    birds do stock lakes. Maybe it was not intentional.
    Closest other watershed with white perch is 80 miles away

iFW have been checking bait tanks of commercial bait dealers for nearly 20 years in Aroostook County and never found an invasive species. Donít make excuses for jackasses

These selfish bastards won’t be happy until the fisheries are all artificial or filled with junk fish. Damn shame

I don't know much about this topic. Can someone please enlighten me as to why anyone would want to transfer crap fish anywhere?

I have absolutely no idea so this is pure speculation on my part.

Lazy
    Ignorant
    Don't want to travel to catch their fish.
    It is speculated that a lure maker dumped smallmouth in Moosehead to help sell lures and increase tourism.
    Some will say accidental introduction through the bait bucket, especially those that catch their own bait.

Invasives are an increasing issue here in Maine and IMHO, it is getting worse. Up here, the most famous are the muskie and smallmouth in the St. John River watershed. But we also now have smallmouth in Trafton lake, largemouth in Spednic and the West Grand watershed, and white perch in Long and Cross. If they are there they are also in Mud Lake. Downstate crappie are moving around at alarming rates.

What I do know is that there are far too many fish being put into places they don't belong, either accidentally or intentionally.
    Last edited by JDK; 06-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.

mmm...your speculation makes sense, unfortunately.